Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> 1998 V70 P0304
Demon
post Nov 30 2012, 06:48 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 42,880
Drives: 1998 Volvo V70

My 1998 V70 Base model, started with a rattle in the Catalytic Convertor, then started a random miss. Now under load it misses and stutters. It is throwing the P0304 code for #4 cylinder miss fire. I pulled the plugs cleaned them, cleaned the cap and rotor. Looked for vacuum leaks. Moved spark plugs around. It is still doing the same thing. Idles good, but under load it misses and stutters. While running I pulled plug wires to make sure #4 cylinder is firing. Every plug wire I pulled made a difference in the RPMs. No obvious problems when I looked at the spark plugs. I have ordered a tune up kit from FCP. Can a clogged or partially clogged Catalytic convertor cause these symptom? I had thought I would get another OBD code, but all I get is p0304. It does sound like the cat has gotten worse. You can hear it rattle when you start and turn of the engine. So, I just replaced the Catalytic Convertor. Car was running good for about 15 minutes, and then started acting up again. It starts running rough and the Check Engine light started flashing. When I got it home, I checked the OBD and got code P0304 again. I am still awaiting the tune up kit, but I am hoping someone may of seen this problem and could give me some advice.
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Nov 30 2012, 09:16 PM
Post #2

Senior Veteran

Member No.: 74,889
Drives: volvo 940 se turbo 1991

QUOTE (Demon @ Nov 30 2012, 06:48 PM)
My 1998 V70 Base model, started with a rattle in the Catalytic Convertor, then started a random miss. Now under load it misses and stutters. It is throwing the P0304 code for #4 cylinder miss fire. I pulled the plugs cleaned them, cleaned the cap and rotor. Looked for vacuum leaks. Moved spark plugs around. It is still doing the same thing. Idles good, but under load it misses and stutters. While running I pulled plug wires to make sure #4 cylinder is firing. Every plug wire I pulled made a difference in the RPMs. No obvious problems when I looked at the spark plugs. I have ordered a tune up kit from FCP. Can a clogged or partially clogged Catalytic convertor cause these symptom? I had thought I would get another OBD code, but all I get is p0304. It does sound like the cat has gotten worse. You can hear it rattle when you start and turn of the engine. So, I just replaced the Catalytic Convertor. Car was running good for about 15 minutes, and then started acting up again. It starts running rough and the Check Engine light started flashing. When I got it home, I checked the OBD and got code P0304 again. I am still awaiting the tune up kit, but I am hoping someone may of seen this problem and could give me some advice.

you state a number of things like hissing , that says vacuum leak, so check the small hoses on the back of your inlet manifold as may be loose, as for the missing and stutters that can be very dirty throttle, which will need to be cleaned with throttle body cleaner, or carb cleaner, you can find how to do that on you tube, just google how to do that.

QuoteReply
Demon
post Dec 1 2012, 04:06 AM
Post #3

QUOTE (danielm85948 @ Nov 30 2012, 09:16 PM)
you state a number of things like hissing , that says vacuum leak, so check the small hoses on the back of your inlet manifold as may be loose, as for the missing and stutters that can be very dirty throttle, which will need to be cleaned with throttle body cleaner, or carb cleaner, you can find how to do that on you tube, just google how to do that.

Sorry, I have not heard hissing, I have checked for vacuum leaks though. I have not cleaned the throttle, but did inspect it, just to make sure it was not the pcv system causing oil to enter it - which it was not. It seems to start missing after it gets warmed up, like driving for 15 minutes or so.

QuoteReply
Demon
post Dec 3 2012, 03:38 PM
Post #4

Still awaiting tune up kit, but worked on it some more. Cleaned throttle body intake. Found one breather to intake hose a little loose, tightened that up. Cleaned MAF sensor. Ran engine hoping it was the loose hose causing the problem, check engine light came on immediately, car ran great for about 10 minutes, started missing and sputtering. Checked the OBD again, got code P0102, Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Low Input. Cleaned the MAF Sensor with intake cleaner. Now I get P0304 code again, car still runs the same, runs bad after warm up, no longer see code P0102, but if I pull the connection to the MAF Sensor, it will run decently. Does that mean the MAF Sensor is bad, and causes the P0304 code? Any suggestions? Is that an accurate test for the MAF, (pull connection, and if car runs better replace the MAF)? I have not found anywhere that a bad MAF could cause a P0304 code.

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Dec 3 2012, 07:43 PM
Post #5

Senior Veteran

Member No.: 74,889
Drives: volvo 940 se turbo 1991

QUOTE (Demon @ Dec 3 2012, 03:38 PM)
Still awaiting tune up kit, but worked on it some more. Cleaned throttle body intake. Found one breather to intake hose a little loose, tightened that up. Cleaned MAF sensor. Ran engine hoping it was the loose hose causing the problem, check engine light came on immediately, car ran great for about 10 minutes, started missing and sputtering. Checked the OBD again, got code P0102, Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Low Input. Cleaned the MAF Sensor with intake cleaner. Now I get P0304 code again, car still runs the same, runs bad after warm up, no longer see code P0102, but if I pull the connection to the MAF Sensor, it will run decently. Does that mean the MAF Sensor is bad, and causes the P0304 code? Any suggestions? Is that an accurate test for the MAF, (pull connection, and if car runs better replace the MAF)? I have not found anywhere that a bad MAF could cause a P0304 code.

take it your small rubber hoses all of them are tight if you try to pull them off, if not get a new length of hose and replace, sounds like you still have a vacuum leak.

QuoteReply
Demon
post Dec 4 2012, 01:55 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (danielm85948 @ Dec 3 2012, 08:43 PM)
take it your small rubber hoses all of them are tight if you try to pull them off, if not get a new length of hose and replace, sounds like you still have a vacuum leak.

I will check for a vacuum leak again. Do you think the MAF Sensor is good or bad?

QuoteReply
Demon
post Dec 5 2012, 01:17 AM
Post #7

Tune up kit arrived. Installed new spark plugs, rotor, cap, ignition wires. Soon after warm up starts missing and stalling. I am now only getting the p0102 code. Does this mean the Mass Airflow sensor is bad? If I disconnect it, it will idle.

QuoteReply
Demon
post Dec 6 2012, 03:26 PM
Post #8

Replaced Mass Airflow Sensor, runs good now, and has not thrown any codes so far.

Recap:

P0304 - New plugs, cap, rotor, wires.

P0102 - New Mass Airflow Sensor.

QuoteReply
pauloil
post Dec 16 2012, 09:59 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 66,578
Drives: 99 V70XC, 95 850glt

so you have a new cat., new spark plugs, rotor, cap, ignition wires also. too bad you didn't try unplugging MAF first.

QuoteReply
Demon
post Jan 21 2013, 07:15 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (pauloil @ Dec 16 2012, 10:59 AM)
so you have a new cat., new spark plugs, rotor, cap, ignition wires also. too bad you didn't try unplugging MAF first.

Still would of had the P0304 problem if I only unplugged the MAF. P0304 cleared after I replaced plugs, cap, rotor, wires. P0102 cleared after replacing the MAF Sensor. The cat was not causing a problem yet, but it was rattling like crazy and would of caused a problem if/when it did clog up.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest 1G (1998-2000) S70, V70 & V70XC Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts V70 Engine Stalling ?
3 Ditterb 818 31st March 2014 - 04:13 PM
Last post by: bajanetix
No New Posts 1998 Volvo C70 Parting Out - Dallas,tx
0 White765T 125 7th February 2014 - 08:00 PM
Last post by: White765T
No New Posts V70 D5 2002-07 Rear Door Lock Assembly
re fittiing
1 gkpots 225 13th December 2013 - 10:50 AM
Last post by: TheGreekMason
No New Posts Topic has attachments1998 V90 For Sale
0 Davidx845 295 11th October 2013 - 04:05 AM
Last post by: Davidx845
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsV70 Glt 1999, Too High Fuel Pressure
1 louksor 295 11th September 2013 - 05:30 PM
Last post by: danielm85948

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 05:59 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement