Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Turbo Boost Control Circuit Leak On V50 1.6d
CNogueira
post Feb 25 2013, 05:27 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 114,699
Drives: Volvo V50 1.6D

Hello.

I need some help here diagnosing an eventually leaking boost control valve on my V50 1.6D.
Recently it developed the following behaviour, aprox. 15min. after shutting off the engine, the brake peal becomes hard. Nevertheless, I’m sure the brake booster and respective (new) check valve are tight!
I developed some investigation on the problem I found that It looks like the turbo boost control circuit has a leak and is stealing vacuum from the brake vacuum line! They are connected to the same plug in the vacuum pump.
I reached this conclusion because I removed the turbo boost control vacuum tube and placed a rubber plug in its place. With the plug in place (and with no turbo L) the brake booster is normal again, I mean, it can retain the vacuum for more than 24h.

I got a mighty vac pump and applying it to the beginning of the turbo boost circuit, I found the following:

- With the engine shut down, applying vac up tp 500mmHg, the system starts to exhibit leak and it is not possible to go over 500mmHg because of (apparent) leak.
- During this procedure I was able to confirm that the valve breather is sucking air!
- I was able to confirm that vacuum reservoir, all vacuum tubes and the turbo actuator are tight and have no leaks. All it’s missing is the valve!

I’m not sure about how this valve works in detail, but to my understanding, with the engine shut down, the valve should be closed and tight, right?
If yes, the valve should be tight when vacuum in applied to the entrance, right? In fact it’s not!
If both previous sentences are correct, I shouldn’t be able to feel air being sucked through the valve breather in this circumstances right? In fact it’s sucking air…
Can someone explain me how to test this valve for vacuum tightness? I have the mighty vac pump…

Doe it look to you that all this troubles are caused by a leaking valve? Nevertheless the brakes are powerful (enough) and the turbo boost control function seems to be Ok!
All I feel strange is the fact that brake booster has no vacuum on it 15min after shutting of the engine and as I said, brake booster and its check valve are tight when I disconnect the booster control circuit and close it’s vacuum passage.

Thanks in advance.

CN
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Feb 25 2013, 06:01 AM
Post #2

Senior Veteran

Member No.: 74,889
Drives: volvo 940 se turbo 1991

QUOTE (CNogueira @ Feb 25 2013, 06:27 AM)
Hello.

I need some help here diagnosing an eventually leaking boost control valve on my V50 1.6D.
Recently it developed the following behaviour, aprox. 15min. after shutting off the engine, the brake peal becomes hard. Nevertheless, I’m sure the brake booster and respective (new) check valve are tight!
I developed some investigation on the problem I found that It looks like the turbo boost control circuit has a leak and is stealing vacuum from the brake vacuum line! They are connected to the same plug in the vacuum pump.
I reached this conclusion because I removed the turbo boost control vacuum tube and placed a rubber plug in its place. With the plug in place (and with no turbo L) the brake booster is normal again, I mean, it can retain the vacuum for more than 24h.

I got a mighty vac pump and applying it to the beginning of the turbo boost circuit, I found the following:

- With the engine shut down, applying vac up tp 500mmHg, the system starts to exhibit leak and it is not possible to go over 500mmHg because of (apparent) leak.
- During this procedure I was able to confirm that the valve breather is sucking air!
- I was able to confirm that vacuum reservoir, all vacuum tubes and the turbo actuator are tight and have no leaks. All it’s missing is the valve!

I’m not sure about how this valve works in detail, but to my understanding, with the engine shut down, the valve should be closed and tight, right?
If yes, the valve should be tight when vacuum in applied to the entrance, right? In fact it’s not!
If both previous sentences are correct, I shouldn’t be able to feel air being sucked through the valve breather in this circumstances right? In fact it’s sucking air…
Can someone explain me how to test this valve for vacuum tightness? I have the mighty vac pump…

Doe it look to you that all this troubles are caused by a leaking valve? Nevertheless the brakes are powerful (enough) and the turbo boost control function seems to be Ok!
All I feel strange is the fact that brake booster has no vacuum on it 15min after shutting of the engine and as I said, brake booster and its check valve are tight when I disconnect the booster control circuit and close it’s vacuum passage.

Thanks in advance.

CN

the trouble can be your turbo bypass valve is leaking it is a diaphragm ,you can get pin holes or a spilt in it.

QuoteReply
CNogueira
post Feb 28 2013, 06:17 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 114,699
Drives: Volvo V50 1.6D

Does anyone know if this boost control valve (vacuum valve) is of the ON/OFF type or if it is of pressure regulator type?

CN

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo V50 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Only $150/day With Lift And Tool! Diy Garage Happy Hour Deal In September.
0 chrisww 110 31st August 2014 - 07:03 PM
Last post by: chrisww
No New Posts V50 2.4i "whistling" Noise On Acceleration
1 tylerdean 383 23rd August 2014 - 02:54 AM
Last post by: Platypup
No New Posts Turbo Adjustment
Auto 850, manual boost control, waste gate adjustment.?
1 Snabblda 209 24th July 2014 - 10:45 PM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Turbo Charger Failure
3 JohnAnast 626 26th June 2014 - 10:15 AM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts V50 2.0d Se Oil Leak
oil leak
0 Smokes 610 4th December 2013 - 06:04 PM
Last post by: Smokes

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 31st October 2014 - 01:12 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement