Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Volvo S60 Engine Noise In Heavy Rain
mgi
post Feb 7 2006, 08:29 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,469
Drives: Volvo S60 2.5T

I own a 2004 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD. I have noticed that usually when I am driving and it starts to rain heavly, there is a loud siren sound coming from the engine area. This sound stays till it doesnt stop to rain. Also, if I dont step on the accelerator, the sound goes away.
I have taken it to the dealership a couple of times but havent been able to replicate the sound.
Is this something other Volvo owners are/were experiencing. I would appreciate it if I could get some insight on what could be wrong since it only happens sometimes.

Thanks
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
ampangbear
post Feb 7 2006, 08:23 PM
Post #2

Expert Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3,464
Drives: 1996 Volvo 855 T5 FWD, 1989 Honda Civic 2-Door FWD

:huh: :huh: :huh:

Like ... are you serious...???

:o

QuoteReply
S60 R
post Feb 8 2006, 02:05 AM
Post #3

Expert Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Super Mod
Member No.: 4,684
Drives: formerly 2005 S60R

Ive heard of something kind of like this, but with slush and the noise coming from the driveshaft. Dont remember what the fix was though.

QuoteReply
mgi
post Mar 22 2006, 07:01 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 11,469
Drives: Volvo S60 2.5T

Could you please try and remember what the fix was? I was going to take the car to the dealership for 7K service and could ask them to check it.

Thanks in advance

QuoteReply
Viper_7
post Mar 23 2006, 09:26 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 11,863
Drives: 2005 S60 D5 SE

A 'siren' type noise. Like a squeal? Could be a belt slipping?

My old motor was the same when wet in the mornings.

As you state it only happens under acceleration when the belts spin up.
Usually the Alternator drive belt that is the culprit as the surface area contact between it and the belt is small.

They are usually notched these days to avoid this though, but not sure about our models...never looked!

Vipes

QuoteReply
S60 R
post Mar 23 2006, 08:22 PM
Post #6

Expert Veteran
Group Icon

Its not the alternator or a belt. Ive heard of the same issue with, but with slush. Experienced it myself with slush. Has something to do with the driveshaft. And trust me, the sound needs no explination...you'll know it when u hear it.

If I find what the fix was, will post.

QuoteReply
S60 R
post Mar 24 2006, 12:07 AM
Post #7

Expert Veteran
Group Icon

It looks like there are some various schools of thought about the fix, but seems to be cold water/slush causing driveline to exhaust contact.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=50379
http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id...d=464700#464700
http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=50210
http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=50046

QuoteReply
lbrockman
post Jul 20 2006, 05:28 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 17,361
Drives: '02 Volvo S60 AWD, '94 850

Hi, MGI - I had the same issue on my 02 S60 AWD. It really freaked me out, and I ended up buying new tires to replace the unevenly-worn tires that the car came with when I bought it. Of course, then I found out about this TNN (tech net note). I have the factory bulletin that addresses the issue, and I just today bought the kit that will fix it. It is Volvo part # 30742265 - it replaces 2 related exhaust hangers near the area affected, and rubber hangers that go with them. Here's the text of the problem:

DESCRIPTION: Under certain conditions when driving through puddles of water, slush and or snow, the underside of exhaust system may cool down fast enough causing the exhaust to change shape and touch the propeller shaft, causing a very high pitched squealing noise. This noise will be noticed by the driver for only a short time, once the exhaust temperature equalizes the noise will disappear. If the customer should have this complaint a tell tale mark will be left on the propeller shaft.

This covers almost all AWD S60's and V70 AWD cars out there, except the R's from what I understand. If you want an e-mail copy of this, get me your e-mail address and I'll send it.

- Lynn

QuoteReply
fishertheband
post Nov 13 2006, 10:31 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 20,430
Drives: XC90/S60R

My 2006 R did this a few times driving in very very heavy rain.

Glad to know there is a fix now. Thanks for the info.

QuoteReply
dkemmel
post Jun 29 2007, 12:26 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 29,604
Drives: Chevrolet

If your car is experiencing problems, you should think about seeking legal help. The site I use when I have a problem is http://www.volvoproblems.com. They really helped me out with my S 60.

QuoteReply
MichaelF
post Aug 1 2007, 11:41 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 30,812
Drives: 2004 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD, 1987 Corvette, 2000 GMC Yukon XL

I had the same problem with my 2004 also. I took it back to the dealer and they had received notification of a fix. As someone has said it is caused by water up in the driveshaft area. As I recall they replaced/adjusted ( I don't remember exactly which) the shield that is in that area. I seem to recall that there is a shield between the cat converter and the driveshaft. Anyway, no problems since then and I have had ample opportunity to test this out the past couple of years.

QuoteReply
jimik3567
post Dec 13 2007, 11:07 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 35,803
Drives: Volvo S60 AWD 2.5 Turbo

lbrockman, Thank you for your informative post! We went to the dealer a million times and they didn't bother to research the problem or troubleshoot it. I will gladly print your post and stick it it the service manager's face!

QuoteReply
Phlex
post Jan 15 2009, 03:57 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 30,343
Drives: 2004 S60 2.5T AWD

QUOTE (lbrockman @ Jul 20 2006, 05:28 PM)
Hi, MGI - I had the same issue on my 02 S60 AWD. It really freaked me out, and I ended up buying new tires to replace the unevenly-worn tires that the car came with when I bought it. Of course, then I found out about this TNN (tech net note). I have the factory bulletin that addresses the issue, and I just today bought the kit that will fix it. It is Volvo part # 30742265 - it replaces 2 related exhaust hangers near the area affected, and rubber hangers that go with them. Here's the text of the problem:

DESCRIPTION: Under certain conditions when driving through puddles of water, slush and or snow, the underside of exhaust system may cool down fast enough causing the exhaust to change shape and touch the propeller shaft, causing a very high pitched squealing noise. This noise will be noticed by the driver for only a short time, once the exhaust temperature equalizes the noise will disappear. If the customer should have this complaint a tell tale mark will be left on the propeller shaft.

This covers almost all AWD S60's and V70 AWD cars out there, except the R's from what I understand. If you want an e-mail copy of this, get me your e-mail address and I'll send it.

- Lynn

Further information at:
http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=110453&page=1

QuoteReply
grendel1960
post Jan 15 2009, 06:30 PM
Post #14

Veteran

Member No.: 16,314
Drives: 92 volvo 440, 91 volvo 940

I have an old 440 that when you go through a puddle you then get the sound of water boiling off for several seconds after you exit the puddle, similar to this you cant get the noise unless you are driving along, and even then not all the time.
Grendel

QuoteReply
Richr11
post Aug 28 2010, 11:07 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 77,662
Drives: Volvo S60R

Hi, I have your answer. I recently purchased a 07 S60R in Alabama with 34K miles on it. As I was driving it back to Louisiana I was caught in a heavy rain downpour and experienced a loud screetching sound. It scared the hell out of me. I haven't even gotten it home yet. When the downpour stopped it went away. Any way I have a friend who is a head mechanic at the local Volvo dealership before I could finish describing it he said rain squeal. Its common on AWD's. The exhust needs to be shimed with washers because it expands when water hits it when its hot. The exhust is so tight against the body this happens. It took them 4X's to correct it each time was an improvement. I looked for the shims and found almost a dozen washers pulling it away from the body. They are located at the last support of the exhust system.
The only noticeable change you will see is the tips are much further away from the body now. That is your fix my man.
Good luck its a easy fix really......

QuoteReply
Richr11
post Aug 28 2010, 11:12 PM
Post #16

Hi, I have your answer. I recently purchased a 07 S60R in Alabama with 34K miles on it. As I was driving it back to Louisiana I was caught in a heavy rain downpour and experienced a loud screetching sound. It scared the hell out of me. I haven't even gotten it home yet. When the downpour stopped it went away. Any way I have a friend who is a head mechanic at the local Volvo dealership before I could finish describing it he said rain squeal. Its common on AWD's. The exhust needs to be shimed with washers because it expands when water hits it when its hot. The exhust is so tight against the body this happens. It took them 4X's to correct it each time was an improvement. I looked for the shims and found almost a dozen washers pulling it away from the body. They are located at the last support of the exhust system.
The only noticeable change you will see is the tips are much further away from the body now. That is your fix my man.
Good luck its a easy fix really......

QuoteReply
Richr11
post Aug 31 2010, 08:39 PM
Post #17

I have a new update. The shims are not working.
I went back to the dealer today they ordered a $175 part.
It’s called a modified carrier bearing and they will need to lower the exhaust system to install it. It could be a few hour job for them.
They described it to me as the drive shaft is rubbing against the exhaust when it expands when it gets wet…….
They also stated its rare that the shims fail to fix the problem. I personally think its the cheapest way to address this issue so little time is invested. But they do this major fix as a last resort they don’t want me coming back a dozen times for the same thing. well will see..........

QuoteReply
allexx
post Nov 6 2012, 03:02 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 111,494
Drives: maruti800

Has something to do with the driveshaft. And trust me, the sound needs no explination.......you'll know it when u hear it.

dainik bhasker

This post has been edited by allexx: Nov 6 2012, 03:03 AM

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest 2009 and Below S60 Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Volvo 960 Auto Not Starting...?
1 bemshawn 49 24th November 2014 - 05:09 AM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Volvo Xc90 Bluetooth Android Usb Car Kit
It is official - Volvo XC90 all get GROMified!
9 GROM Audio 2,874 10th November 2014 - 05:00 PM
Last post by: GROM Audio
No New Posts Volvo?
Why Volvo?
0 supero 353 23rd September 2014 - 08:33 PM
Last post by: supero
No New Posts Volvo V40 T4 - Knob Safety Lock
5 KONE 1,486 15th September 2014 - 01:49 AM
Last post by: masud ali
No New Posts Volvo 240gl Wagon For Sale Near Perth Wa
Volvo 240GL wagon for sale near Perth WA
0 lee_ricketts1 257 6th September 2014 - 05:43 AM
Last post by: lee_ricketts1

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 28th November 2014 - 08:20 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement