Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Low Coolant Light Stuck On After Expansion Tank Sensor Replacement
Ryan K
post Dec 2 2012, 08:26 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 73,834
Drives: 2000 S70 and 1999 V70

I own two vehicles. One a 1999 Volvo V70 XC and a 2000 S70 AWD. These cars are practically the same exact car, except one is a wagon and one a sedan. Anyways, my problem is kinda strange and probably an easy fix. I just replaced my expansion tank on the V70 with a genuine volvo reservoir because of a crack in the original tank. After reassembling everything the way it was, the low coolant light is now on even though the tank is filled. I noticed the expansion tank had a small weight that goes up and down to sense whether the tank is full or empty, and that is in the proper position (up = good, down = low). The sensor is plugged in correctly. The strange thing is that I wanted to test the sensor to make sure it didn't go bad on me all of a sudden, so I removed the sensor from my Volvo S70 (other vehicle, but the exact same) and installed it in my Volvo V70 to test, and I had the same problem. After moving the sensor back to my S70 (the one working initially), I had the exact same problem as the V70 where the low coolant light will not turn off. So now the exact same problem is happening to both vehicles because the sensor was removed and reintalled. Is there some strange reset that needs to be done to get this light to turn off? Thanks in advance for all your help.

This post has been edited by Ryan K: Dec 2 2012, 09:39 AM
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
pauloil
post Dec 16 2012, 10:06 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 66,578
Drives: 99 V70XC, 95 850glt

pulling on the wires to the sensor can screw it up. I know and have a few old ones in my garage! I have never put a meter to the old ones and can't tell you how they work. but they are either good or bad, so buy a new one for both of your cars. the hard thing to do is to remember to disconnect the sensor and not pull the wires out, when you lift the expansion tank!
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest 1G (1998-2000) S70, V70 & V70XC Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Only $150/day With Lift And Tool! Diy Garage Happy Hour Deal In September.
0 chrisww 45 31st August 2014 - 07:03 PM
Last post by: chrisww
No New Posts Replacement Tires ?
Looking for new tires
2 supero 265 12th August 2014 - 07:05 PM
Last post by: supero
No New Posts Lowering Springs
Which brand is lowest
0 Snabblåda 85 24th July 2014 - 09:39 PM
Last post by: Snabblåda
No New Posts Coolant Light On-it's An Error
1 LIL BUG 249 18th May 2014 - 04:30 PM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Lowering Springs Australia
0 TylerFunnell 235 20th February 2014 - 09:23 PM
Last post by: TylerFunnell

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 23rd September 2014 - 09:25 PM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement