Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Looking At A 2005 Xc90 2.5 Fwd
coastie743
post Dec 19 2012, 01:25 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 113,628
Drives: 2012 VW Touareg TDI

Hi everyone, I am looking at a used xc90 with the 2.5. 76K miles. Anything in particular I should be aware of or keep an eye out for? I have heard of transmission issues, is this limited to one of the models or widespread? Anything else?
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
Ed Carden
post Dec 19 2012, 01:36 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 94,596
Drives: Volvo XC() T6 AWD

Woah, I would recommend against it unless you buy a bumper to bumper extended warranty. That year and model were disasters and completely unreliable. I wish someone would have told me before I bought mine. You have been warned.

QUOTE (coastie743 @ Dec 19 2012, 02:25 PM)
Hi everyone, I am looking at a used xc90 with the 2.5. 76K miles. Anything in particular I should be aware of or keep an eye out for? I have heard of transmission issues, is this limited to one of the models or widespread? Anything else?

QuoteReply
VolvoDownunder
post Dec 22 2012, 05:50 AM
Post #3

Senior

Member No.: 3,414
Drives: 2006 XC90 2.5 and 2008 S40LE

I note the warning from Ed Carden and see that he is the owner of the T6 version that was widely known for its unreliable gearbox. This gearbox was a total disaster and if not covered by some form of warranty costs the earth to replace and even when replaced can continue to cause problems.
I have owned a 2006 XC 2.5T (NOT the T6) and have found it to be extremely reliable. Apart from the regular servicing I have only spent money on tyres and a battery.
For peace of mind I would however recommend a pre purchase inspection.

QuoteReply
jjorah
post Dec 26 2012, 08:22 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 113,751
Drives: 2005 volvo xc 90

I too am looking at that same model year(2005),but it has the V8 engine in it. Are you saying all models
and engines were a disaster that year or just the 2.5 engine? I have 4 XC90's I am looking at presently,
2005 thru 2008. With a variety of engine options in each. And if it is a known problem that the 2005's were
just unreliable that year, I will eliminate that car from my search. I know buying a used car is a gamble
regardless, and from my last experience of buying a used vehicle(cracked engine block). I am trying to eliminate
all the lemon's off the list. Thanks.

QUOTE (Ed Carden @ Dec 19 2012, 01:36 PM)
Woah, I would recommend against it unless you buy a bumper to bumper extended warranty. That year and model were disasters and completely unreliable. I wish someone would have told me before I bought mine. You have been warned.

QuoteReply
ses_volvo
post Dec 27 2012, 10:56 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 113,407
Drives: 2000 Mitsubishi Galant GTZ

First I'll admit I'm new here. However with that said I did a TON of research on the XC90 before my wife and I bought a 2005 XC90 2.5T.

The overall concensus is that the 2.5L five cylinder turbo matched to the 5 speed AW transmission is a very stable combination. The T6 six cylinder turbo engine matched to the GM 4 speed transmission was a disaster. Most of the negative reviews I read were the T6 XC90s. A lot of people have had to replace multiple transmissions and they're pretty peeved about it and I can't blame them. That just sucks. The V8 is matched to a 6 speed AW transmission. I didn't do a lot of research on the V8 because I knew I didn't want that combination. However it seems to fall somewhere between the 2.5T and T6 regarding driver satisfaction.

This information is based on scouring different car review websites, consumer reviews, message boards and anywhere I could get my hands on real world XC90 info. Professional reviews aren't very helpful. For one they're reviewing a new car and rarely can you find long term testing of vehicles. That's where I find it better to hear from actual owners.

Now to answer the OP question a 2005 with 76K miles is a great find if the price is fair. Wheel bearings seemed to be an issue on XC90s. Your timing belt won't need to be changed for some time. The PCV system should be checked to see if it's operating properly. Sometimes the turbo system has oil leaking issues. Finding out if this XC90 has some maintenance records would be nice so you know what has and hasn't been done. As another person mentioned, getting it checked out by a third party with Volvo experience is a good idea.

Good luck!

QuoteReply
jjorah
post Dec 28 2012, 05:15 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 113,751
Drives: 2005 volvo xc 90

Any thoughts on a 2005 XC90 V8.. I am taking one for a ride tomorrow, and I have read thru these forums dating back to 2008, and cant get a clear cut answer on the V8. I know the T6 is junk according to just about everyone. And the 2.5T is pretty solid. Can someone point me to some posts regarding the V8, or give me some expert opinions on it.. Thanks...

QuoteReply
willsonman
post Jan 21 2013, 01:54 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 78,463
Drives: 2005 volvo

I'm looking at a 2003 XC90 with the 2.5T 5-cyl motor. Any input would be great. 108K miles and looks great. For $5500 it looks to be a steal but only owning a V50 I'm not really aware of any issues with the SUVs.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo XC90 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Looking For Relay Panel
0 v-45magna 22 19th October 2014 - 05:04 PM
Last post by: v-45magna
No New Posts 2005 S80 2.5t - Oil Recommendation?
1 gvsu4msu 234 19th October 2014 - 08:00 AM
Last post by: poopbunny
No New Posts 2005 Xc90 Condenser Replacement
Need to replace the condenser and need advice about how to do it
0 Nowyousee 187 26th July 2014 - 07:52 PM
Last post by: Nowyousee
No New Posts Xc90 2008 Good Choice?
Looking to buy XC90 2008
0 al_toengi 487 20th July 2014 - 12:30 PM
Last post by: al_toengi
No New Posts 2005 Xc70 Awd -- Extended Maintenance Needed?
Help me decide whether to get an extended maintenance contract!
2 Seabiscute 235 20th May 2014 - 02:43 PM
Last post by: Seabiscute

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 25th October 2014 - 02:42 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement