Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Pull In Steering
toeraglala
post Oct 30 2012, 08:54 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 112,322
Drives: Volvo V50 04

Can anyone gives me a heads up to what the problem may be with my Volvo v50. When I am driving it feels like the drivers side wheel has a mind of its own! turning right it feels like it wants to keep going straight for a moment. A heavy feeling in the steering pulling to the drivers side. I have had all wheel alignement done, brakes checked, tyre pressures checked there has been new rear bushes put on the front wishbones infact it has been in the garage 3 times and they can not give an answer. Beginning to not trust the car not feeling to safe, I am pulling my hair out!! Any help much appreciated.

This post has been edited by toeraglala: Oct 30 2012, 03:26 PM
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
grendel1960
post Oct 30 2012, 09:59 AM
Post #2

Veteran

Member No.: 16,314
Drives: 92 volvo 440, 91 volvo 940

might be worth checking the rear suspension bushes.
Grendel

QuoteReply
Platypup
post Oct 31 2012, 11:03 PM
Post #3

Senior

Member No.: 24,285
Drives: Volvo V50 T5 AWD, Toyota RAV4, MG TC, Jaguar E-type

Did you do anything with the car just before the car started pulling to the right such as hitting something hard with the right hand front wheel or did you swap around or change your tyres? Sometimes the wear in the tread of a tyre when in one position will cause a pulling to one side if then placed on the front. Swapping around the front wheels would confirm this.

QuoteReply
toeraglala
post Nov 1 2012, 07:25 AM
Post #4

QUOTE (Platypup @ Oct 31 2012, 11:03 PM)
Did you do anything with the car just before the car started pulling to the right such as hitting something hard with the right hand front wheel or did you swap around or change your tyres? Sometimes the wear in the tread of a tyre when in one position will cause a pulling to one side if then placed on the front. Swapping around the front wheels would confirm this.

I have tried this as well, I am at a loss to be honest. The car originaly went in for a shudder in the steering thats when the wishbone bushes were replaced and came out of the garage with this pull. It went back in and they rechecked alignement and could not find anything. It feels like the passenger side is floating about on ice especially when you turn to the right. They did suggest it could be a sticky balljoint but it is there all the time more or less.

QuoteReply
grendel1960
post Nov 1 2012, 08:40 AM
Post #5

Veteran

Member No.: 16,314
Drives: 92 volvo 440, 91 volvo 940

if your car has active rear suspension (turns the rear wheels slightly as you corner) and the bushes are worn you can get a wandering feel to the steering as you travel at highway speeds, my 850 had this and the rear bushes were totally shot - new bushes sorted the problem.
Grendel

QuoteReply
toeraglala
post Nov 1 2012, 11:23 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (grendel1960 @ Nov 1 2012, 08:40 AM)
if your car has active rear suspension (turns the rear wheels slightly as you corner) and the bushes are worn you can get a wandering feel to the steering as you travel at highway speeds, my 850 had this and the rear bushes were totally shot - new bushes sorted the problem.
Grendel

Thanks Grendell I will get them to look at that all advice greatly appreciated!

QuoteReply
cheesemax
post Nov 6 2012, 11:56 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 112,341
Drives: 2006 V50 T5 AWD Heico

have u checked the suspension components on that side of the car. Could be the shock absorber is shot which would make the right hand wheel feel unstable.

good luck

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Nov 7 2012, 09:32 AM
Post #8

Senior Veteran

Member No.: 74,889
Drives: volvo 940 se turbo 1991

QUOTE (toeraglala @ Oct 30 2012, 09:54 AM)
Can anyone gives me a heads up to what the problem may be with my Volvo v50. When I am driving it feels like the drivers side wheel has a mind of its own! turning right it feels like it wants to keep going straight for a moment. A heavy feeling in the steering pulling to the drivers side. I have had all wheel alignement done, brakes checked, tyre pressures checked there has been new rear bushes put on the front wishbones infact it has been in the garage 3 times and they can not give an answer. Beginning to not trust the car not feeling to safe, I am pulling my hair out!! Any help much appreciated.

can you check the colour of fluid in your power steering ,should be pink not brown or black,and check the fluid level, and try leave off the cap turning the steering a few times ,in case of air in the system then replace the cap back on.

This post has been edited by danielm85948: Nov 7 2012, 09:34 AM

QuoteReply
toeraglala
post Nov 19 2012, 02:42 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (danielm85948 @ Nov 7 2012, 09:32 AM)
can you check the colour of fluid in your power steering ,should be pink not brown or black,and check the fluid level, and try leave off the cap turning the steering a few times ,in case of air in the system then replace the cap back on.

Thanks for all the info, the car is now in the garage getting a replacement steering rack the power steering fluid has brown bits through it so spot on danielm85948!!!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo V50 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Intermittent Speedometer/odometer Failure
Intermittent speedometer/odometer failure
0 budalla 22 18th April 2014 - 02:26 AM
Last post by: budalla
No New Posts Installling Aftermarket Radio
3 Alex G 551 11th January 2014 - 01:07 PM
Last post by: TheGreekMason
No New Posts Steering Wheel Trim Differences
1 vlvwagon 227 18th November 2013 - 03:03 PM
Last post by: vlvwagon
No New Posts Inside Passenger Front Inside Door Handle
Won't open from the inside but does from the outside
0 zoots alures 239 17th October 2013 - 09:02 PM
Last post by: zoots alures
No New Posts Intake Whistle
Whistle when I lift off the Throttle
2 Hampton 247 7th October 2013 - 11:02 AM
Last post by: Hampton

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 03:33 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement