Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Throttle Response Delay
Gnrl_lee
post Feb 11 2013, 01:46 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 108,028
Drives: XC60

I have a 2012 XC60 T5.

Yesterday I came across a situation that was bad enough to cause an issue.

I was driving up a hill nearing the peak and there's a slip road that allowed me to do a U turn.
I came into the slip lane and nearing to a stop I saw no oncoming vehicle and did a u-turn.

the car moved slightly but than nothing else. slight release but not full off and reapplied throttle and still nothing. pressed further down this time and still nothing. About almost 5 seconds has passed and an oncoming vehicle has now started to head my way....

this time I let go of throttle and pressed all the way down and this time the car jerked enough to create chirp tyre noise and the car is now under way....

Has anyone else encoutered no throttle response or Hugh delay in certain situations? I think in this situation ... it is a hugh safety issue as a car that is all about safety needs to look into. I have yet to try to replicate the issue but wanted to know if anyone else had it.
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Feb 11 2013, 03:01 AM
Post #2

Senior Veteran

Member No.: 74,889
Drives: volvo 940 se turbo 1991

QUOTE (Gnrl_lee @ Feb 11 2013, 01:46 AM)
I have a 2012 XC60 T5.

Yesterday I came across a situation that was bad enough to cause an issue.

I was driving up a hill nearing the peak and there's a slip road that allowed me to do a U turn.
I came into the slip lane and nearing to a stop I saw no oncoming vehicle and did a u-turn.

the car moved slightly but than nothing else. slight release but not full off and reapplied throttle and still nothing. pressed further down this time and still nothing. About almost 5 seconds has passed and an oncoming vehicle has now started to head my way....

this time I let go of throttle and pressed all the way down and this time the car jerked enough to create chirp tyre noise and the car is now under way....

Has anyone else encoutered no throttle response or Hugh delay in certain situations? I think in this situation ... it is a hugh safety issue as a car that is all about safety needs to look into. I have yet to try to replicate the issue but wanted to know if anyone else had it.

take it back to the dealer may be your throttle position sensor dirty contacts.

QuoteReply
Gnrl_lee
post Feb 12 2013, 08:13 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 108,028
Drives: XC60

Really? I have only driven just over 3200kms and car was only delivered new in July 2012.

After that incident on they way home that day I didn't have it occur but than wasn't exactly doing the same U turn.

I hope they are not using the same ETM that was used in 1999 - 2010.

QuoteReply
Vermont
post Feb 13 2013, 01:00 PM
Post #4

Senior

Member No.: 80,050
Drives: 2002 Volvo S60

QUOTE (Gnrl_lee @ Feb 11 2013, 01:46 AM)
". . . I was driving up a hill nearing the peak . . ."

At what elevation is the summit of that hill you were on ?

I think most people think Australians all live close to Sea Level; and Volvo probably assumes all of their vehicles will be used with an atmospheric pressure close to that which is present at Sea Level.

For gasoline vapors to combust they must mix with oxygen in a fairly precise ratio. At high altitudes, the lower pressure can lessen the amount of oxygen available in the incoming air entering the combustion chamberand cause the gas vapors and oxygen gas to behave in such a way that they don't mix as well as they do at Sea Level; and using high octane fuel under these circumstances can make matters worse.

If you only occasionally drive your Volvo up in the mountains, then you'll probably have to get used to this hesitation. If most of your driving is done at higher elevations, then your Volvo Dealer may be able to adjust the Electronic Throttle to be more responsive at higher elevations.

It's worth asking them about anyway. Maybe a 2012 Volvo is supposd to automatically measure atmospheric pressure and make dynamic adjustments . . . . I don't know.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Performance Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsThrottle Body Mod
960 throttle plate
2 umpgotti 995 19th July 2013 - 09:24 PM
Last post by: Kiss4aFrog
No New Posts Throttle Body Recall
Throttle body RECALL
22 mehdiaccardi 75,866 12th February 2012 - 04:43 AM
Last post by: NatashaMAp
No New Posts Throttle Body Help
Software upgrade on a used ETM
2 Lowest-Bidder 2,436 15th January 2012 - 08:14 PM
Last post by: Matt S
No New Posts Throttle Body Issues Outside Of The 1999-2001 Model Year Warranty Campaign
7 cswadner 4,293 28th November 2011 - 12:23 PM
Last post by: anichin
No New Posts Throttle Body
4 cutensweet 1,062 2nd November 2011 - 07:10 PM
Last post by: Vermont

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 23rd November 2014 - 03:30 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement