Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Volvo V40 - Heater Fan
SethDW
post Dec 1 2012, 05:54 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 113,245
Drives: 2002 Volvo V40

Hello,

I have a 2002 Volvo V40. The heating element works, but the fan is schizophrenic. When the dial is on low, it works, but then occasionally comes on full blast for a second or two. With the dial on medium, it's as if the fan is still on low, but again it comes on full blast periodically for short periods of time. And with the dial on high, it's mostly full blast, but still a little unpredictable.

I did some looking around online and it appears that it might be the blower motor resistor. Would that make sense? I'm technically inclined, but more in the computer realm -- not really knowledgable about cars. I found this part online:
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Volv...ngs+Best+Seller

From what I have read, it's located behind the passenger glove compartment. Is this a part I could replace with limited car knowledge -- but all the necessary tools? Or should I just visit a mechanic? Or do you experts think it's something else?

Thanks much. - Seth
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Dec 2 2012, 01:10 AM
Post #2

Senior Veteran

Member No.: 74,889
Drives: volvo 940 se turbo 1991

QUOTE (SethDW @ Dec 1 2012, 06:54 PM)
Hello,

I have a 2002 Volvo V40. The heating element works, but the fan is schizophrenic. When the dial is on low, it works, but then occasionally comes on full blast for a second or two. With the dial on medium, it's as if the fan is still on low, but again it comes on full blast periodically for short periods of time. And with the dial on high, it's mostly full blast, but still a little unpredictable.

I did some looking around online and it appears that it might be the blower motor resistor. Would that make sense? I'm technically inclined, but more in the computer realm -- not really knowledgable about cars. I found this part online:
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Volv...ngs+Best+Seller

From what I have read, it's located behind the passenger glove compartment. Is this a part I could replace with limited car knowledge -- but all the necessary tools? Or should I just visit a mechanic? Or do you experts think it's something else?

Thanks much. - Seth

you can see it is just two screws that hold it on, and a electrical plug that has a tang you push down to remove, but you will need a torch in there to see what you are doing,but i think you first need to do a radiator flush first,as it may be both your heater and your radiator may need to be cleaned,so get a radiator flush pour that into the expansion bottle, run it for about 20 miles check the level as it may be due to an air lock due to dirt and rust,then drain and refill with a 50/50 anti freeze mix,leave off the cap as you run the engine till the water starts to get hot,have your heater on full to bleed the system,then replace the cap, if that does not work then you can replace that part.

QuoteReply
Geordievolvo
post Dec 7 2012, 06:01 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 106,808
Drives: Volvo 850 GLT, Volvo V40.

Your symptons are exactly the same as I am experiencing with my 2000 V40. Local garage suspects that the rheostat has failed and they put me in touch with an auto-electrician. He examined it yesterday and confirmed that was the fault. He is coming today to fix it. Cost of the rheostat is £43 + VAT. So if you can do the repair yourself you will save a bit money.
Had thought of going to the Volvo main dealer, but after the bill for a headlamp replacement, and a small re-wire job (£422) I decided to go local. When discussing matters with the auto-electrician, and mention the headlamp replacement, he said he could have completed the work for less than half of what Volvo charged. !!!

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo V40 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Volvo 850 Cd Smokes Like Crazy But Runs Fine?
9 JeremyK 206 8th August 2014 - 12:25 PM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Volvo S60, V60 Polestar Pricing Announced
0 AutoGuide.com 147 7th August 2014 - 01:54 PM
Last post by: AutoGuide.com
No New Posts Volvo B230gt Engine?
Please explain to me because it seems that I have one in my car
0 Archon 108 30th July 2014 - 09:53 AM
Last post by: Archon
No New Posts Volvo Starting
FUEL ? SENSOR?
6 claudeworld 345 10th July 2014 - 11:16 PM
Last post by: claudeworld
No New Posts V40 2004 Floor And Cargo Rubber Mats
0 NJV40 87 8th July 2014 - 07:00 AM
Last post by: NJV40

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 29th August 2014 - 07:00 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement