Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> 740 Turbo Runs Poorly When Cold
kgsoto
post Dec 6 2012, 11:24 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 113,372
Drives: 1988 Volvo 740 Turbo

Hello all - new member.

I have a problem with my 1988 740 Turbo. It starts and runs fine, but when cold it experiences a drop every few seconds when idling. In other words, when idling cold, it will act as though the key was turned off but just before stopping completely it catches and continues to run. I guess I'm trying to describe something other than rough running, or a poor idle - this is more like an ignition short where the engine completely stops (but never does). The tach needle shows this also. It continues doing this while accelerating around the neighborhood but once the car is at operating temp it smooths out. I live in San Diego so it never gets cold here.

The car was tuned up last year and the distributor was replaced at the same time. New cap, wires, plugs. Car has close to 290K and still runs great except for this issue.

Any ideas?
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Dec 7 2012, 09:44 AM
Post #2

Senior Veteran

Member No.: 74,889
Drives: volvo 940 se turbo 1991

QUOTE (kgsoto @ Dec 6 2012, 11:24 PM)
Hello all - new member.

I have a problem with my 1988 740 Turbo. It starts and runs fine, but when cold it experiences a drop every few seconds when idling. In other words, when idling cold, it will act as though the key was turned off but just before stopping completely it catches and continues to run. I guess I'm trying to describe something other than rough running, or a poor idle - this is more like an ignition short where the engine completely stops (but never does). The tach needle shows this also. It continues doing this while accelerating around the neighborhood but once the car is at operating temp it smooths out. I live in San Diego so it never gets cold here.

The car was tuned up last year and the distributor was replaced at the same time. New cap, wires, plugs. Car has close to 290K and still runs great except for this issue.

Any ideas?

you have a number of things wrong,take off and clean your inter cooler ,take off and clean your idle control valve with carb or throttle cleaner,due to the oil and water mix in your inter cooler will go up to your throttle so open the butterfly on your throttle by turning the drum for the cable spray into there as it will be very dirty,the other thing is get a radiator flush, pour that in the expansion bottle,to clean out the radiator and to clean your cold start sensor.

This post has been edited by danielm85948: Dec 7 2012, 09:45 AM

QuoteReply
waitdidyouhearth...
post Dec 20 2012, 11:12 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 113,659
Drives: 1987 740 GLE Turbo Wagon

I have a similar cold running problem with my 1987 740 GLE Turbo Wagon. When first running during cold weather or in the morning or late evening, the overdrive arrow shaped light will fire up and stay lit. You have to goose it one to get the battery light to come on. In between the start up with the arrow light and me goosing it and the battery light going on the gauges will be dead, or are at least reading inaccurately. It will also run a bit rough. It has done this since I've owned it which is about a year. Eventually, both lights will go off after it is warned up enough and it will begin to run normally, or normally for IT anyway. Many of the high desert's best minds have taken a swing at this problem and can't come up with a solution. Recently, I had the alternator replaced and had great hope that such would remedy this colic but no dice.

Now, it has another problem which may be related, I don't know. Not long ago, I noticed that the side yards needed flattening out so I did a little 'John Deere-ing' with the brick. It is very dusty up here and we were kicking it up. Shortly after that I drove to Barstow to see a patient and-boohoo-no overdrive. It kicked in after it warmed up-at first after about 10 minutes of driving in 100 degree heat and so on like this for about a year. Now, it won't kick at all-3500 rpm at 65 all the way from Koreatown to Apple Valley. Yes, folks, I have put about 25k on it with this problem. Sorry. I have used my big brain and have figured that this problem is related to the Overdrive Solenoid. What that has to do with the arrow-dash-battery-goosing problem, maybe someone has an idea.

There was the whole back fuel pump vs. the front fuel pump thing-had them both replaced twice and the front pump still seems to grumble around the 1/4 tank mark.
Other than that, this car just keeps going.

Then-both passenger back doors konked out. First the right side was out for about a year, came back into service and then the left one went out. Then not to be outdone, the right one went out again.

The heater also chants. Evil sounding things...

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo 740 & 760 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Turbo Charger Failure
3 JohnAnast 218 26th June 2014 - 10:15 AM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts 740 Seat Belts Will Not Unwind
Seat Belt
2 BCBrick 477 12th February 2014 - 12:34 PM
Last post by: White765T
No New Posts 740 Gle Jerking Steering At 45-50mph
wheel bearing?
9 maui740GLE 327 5th August 2013 - 04:28 AM
Last post by: SykO
No New Posts 740 Gle Random Stalling & No Start
driving me crazy
10 maui740GLE 884 5th August 2013 - 04:16 AM
Last post by: SykO
No New Posts Turbo Diagram For S40- Year2003
0 cheopr 519 3rd August 2013 - 09:42 PM
Last post by: cheopr

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 24th July 2014 - 11:56 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement