Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> 1998 V70 Start/idle Issues
Volvoassault
post Feb 2 2013, 06:16 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 114,436
Drives: 1998 Volvo V70

My 98 V70 Non Turbo w/ close to 150K miles stalled on me out of the blue one day. I was unable to re-start it for more than a few seconds, and if It did, it stalled out again even once I got it into drive. I disconnected the Mass Airflow Sensor and the car started and ran fine. I got a new sensor and the car runs, but often it idles rough and stalls but it always has start/idle issues as long as the sensor is connected, but it will run fine as long as I get it past the idle and into drive (although it seems to have a slight hesitation when I step on the gas). This is an improvement over NOT running at ALL but I'd like to get it back into tip-top shape again.

I did the following: CLEANED INTAKE (as well as the air filter box and all hoses connecting), CHANGED SPARK PLUGS (they indicated that the car was running rich), NEW ROTOR, CLEANED CONNECTOR TO THE MASS AIR SENSOR w/ Q-TIP, and put in a bottle of LUCAS FUEL SYSTEM CLEANER, Checked all lines for vac leak, and disconnected fuel line to make sure gas was flowing freely to the engine (it was).

Any suggestions as to where I need to go next? I remember I had an 850 and at about 170k miles it needed a new fuel pump, but it seems the gas it pumping OK and the fact that it runs OK w/ the Mass Air Sensor disconnected is puzzling. Could it be a relay? Something simple that I am not thinking about?

Lastly, I had an issue w/ the intake about 6 months ago, the car went into "limp mode" and ran fine after I cleaned the intake (the hose going to the intake had major holes in it, i since got new hoses from the airbox to the intake). Just wanted to include ALL info about the car possible so I don't waste anymore time/money getting this beauty to run right again! Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Feb 2 2013, 06:26 PM
Post #2

Senior Veteran

Group: Members
Member No.: 74,889
Drives: volvo 940 se turbo 1991

QUOTE (Volvoassault @ Feb 2 2013, 06:16 PM)
My 98 V70 Non Turbo w/ close to 150K miles stalled on me out of the blue one day. I was unable to re-start it for more than a few seconds, and if It did, it stalled out again even once I got it into drive. I disconnected the Mass Airflow Sensor and the car started and ran fine. I got a new sensor and the car runs, but often it idles rough and stalls but it always has start/idle issues as long as the sensor is connected, but it will run fine as long as I get it past the idle and into drive (although it seems to have a slight hesitation when I step on the gas). This is an improvement over NOT running at ALL but I'd like to get it back into tip-top shape again.

I did the following: CLEANED INTAKE (as well as the air filter box and all hoses connecting), CHANGED SPARK PLUGS (they indicated that the car was running rich), NEW ROTOR, CLEANED CONNECTOR TO THE MASS AIR SENSOR w/ Q-TIP, and put in a bottle of LUCAS FUEL SYSTEM CLEANER, Checked all lines for vac leak, and disconnected fuel line to make sure gas was flowing freely to the engine (it was).

Any suggestions as to where I need to go next? I remember I had an 850 and at about 170k miles it needed a new fuel pump, but it seems the gas it pumping OK and the fact that it runs OK w/ the Mass Air Sensor disconnected is puzzling. Could it be a relay? Something simple that I am not thinking about?

Lastly, I had an issue w/ the intake about 6 months ago, the car went into "limp mode" and ran fine after I cleaned the intake (the hose going to the intake had major holes in it, i since got new hoses from the airbox to the intake). Just wanted to include ALL info about the car possible so I don't waste anymore time/money getting this beauty to run right again! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

sounds like the trouble is a dirty throttle position sensor on the side of your throttle body ,only good way to deal with it ,is remove the 4 bolts holding your throttle on,then clean spray with throttle body cleaner on all of the throttle.
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest 1G (1998-2000) S70, V70 & V70XC Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts V70 Engine Stalling ?
3 Ditterb 816 31st March 2014 - 04:13 PM
Last post by: bajanetix
No New Posts 1998 Volvo C70 Parting Out - Dallas,tx
0 White765T 125 7th February 2014 - 08:00 PM
Last post by: White765T
No New Posts V70 D5 2002-07 Rear Door Lock Assembly
re fittiing
1 gkpots 225 13th December 2013 - 10:50 AM
Last post by: TheGreekMason
No New Posts Topic has attachments1998 V90 For Sale
0 Davidx845 295 11th October 2013 - 04:05 AM
Last post by: Davidx845
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsV70 Glt 1999, Too High Fuel Pressure
1 louksor 295 11th September 2013 - 05:30 PM
Last post by: danielm85948

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 12:30 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement