Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> 1996 740 Won't Start. Why?, Have spark and fuel 9Excessive fuel) but wont start
ScaryWayne
post Sep 20 2012, 12:04 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 111,106
Drives: 1996 740

Hi, I'm a mechanic of some years experience but this has me stumped.
I have a 1996 volvo 740 that won't start. Good spark and fuel.
Drove it to a friends, came out and it hasn't run since. Removed plugs, good spark. Checked fuel, ok but wont go. Removed plug and turned over and neat fuel sprays out of plughole and plugs very wet. Also seems to be fuel in oil suggesting neat fuel in the cylinders. Seems to me that injectors are permanently open and pouring fuel into pots hence flooding engine preventing starting? Also smells very heavily of petrol.
Checked the voltage accross the feed wires to the injectors and there is 12v at both wires when taken to earth. With a test bulb accross both wires it is permanently on whether cranking or simply ignition on suggestong that the injectors are permanently open?
These are my thoughts, anyone sensible out there got any adeas as I'm at a dead end but don't really want to scrap it.

Cheers
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Sep 20 2012, 09:29 PM
Post #2

Senior Veteran

Member No.: 74,889
Drives: volvo 940 se turbo 1991

QUOTE (ScaryWayne @ Sep 20 2012, 01:04 PM)
Hi, I'm a mechanic of some years experience but this has me stumped.
I have a 1996 volvo 740 that won't start. Good spark and fuel.
Drove it to a friends, came out and it hasn't run since. Removed plugs, good spark. Checked fuel, ok but wont go. Removed plug and turned over and neat fuel sprays out of plughole and plugs very wet. Also seems to be fuel in oil suggesting neat fuel in the cylinders. Seems to me that injectors are permanently open and pouring fuel into pots hence flooding engine preventing starting? Also smells very heavily of petrol.
Checked the voltage accross the feed wires to the injectors and there is 12v at both wires when taken to earth. With a test bulb accross both wires it is permanently on whether cranking or simply ignition on suggestong that the injectors are permanently open?
These are my thoughts, anyone sensible out there got any adeas as I'm at a dead end but don't really want to scrap it.

Cheers

that sounds like the trouble is your fuel injector relay has failed sometimes called noise relay look in the engine bay next to the front shock maybe be on a frame next to the front shock.left or right hand side.

QuoteReply
ScaryWayne
post Sep 21 2012, 02:32 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 111,106
Drives: 1996 740

Thanks for that i'll try and locate it. Is there any way of testing the relay. Main issue is that i'm in southern France and scrap parts are more pricey than new in the UK and new parts are extortionate just to try a swap.

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Sep 21 2012, 04:17 AM
Post #4

Senior Veteran

QUOTE (ScaryWayne @ Sep 21 2012, 03:32 AM)
Thanks for that i'll try and locate it. Is there any way of testing the relay. Main issue is that i'm in southern France and scrap parts are more pricey than new in the UK and new parts are extortionate just to try a swap.

try open the relay and resolder the contacts they crack over time ,and open up when they start to heat up,just google volvo relays for details.you can get them on-line.

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Dec 25 2012, 01:33 PM
Post #5

Senior Veteran

QUOTE (ScaryWayne @ Sep 21 2012, 02:32 AM)

you can test your noise suppression relay by getting a set of noid lights you take of the lead to your injector then plug in the noid light that will test both the ECU, and your noise relay get a set on ebay in the USA cost about $25 in the UK, about under £20.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo 740 & 760 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts 1996 960 Stalls
My 960 stalls
0 Artbgjohn 68 23rd May 2014 - 10:27 PM
Last post by: Artbgjohn
No New Posts 1996 Volvo 960 Temp Sensor Location
1 duckland23 145 28th April 2014 - 03:46 PM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsWhy Is My Car Full Of Water?!
V70 T5 collecting water in rear
1 DasRah 559 17th February 2014 - 10:56 AM
Last post by: gobies
No New Posts 740 Seat Belts Will Not Unwind
Seat Belt
2 BCBrick 477 12th February 2014 - 12:34 PM
Last post by: White765T
No New Posts Topic has attachments1996 Volvo 850r Sedan Auto For Sale **sydney, Aus**
1996 Volvo 850R Sedan Auto for Sale
1 kv850r 277 10th December 2013 - 11:27 AM
Last post by: kv850r

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 24th July 2014 - 07:18 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement