Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Limp Mode?, 2003 S60 2.5T
polartx
post Jan 15 2013, 01:10 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 114,020
Drives: 2003 Volvo S60 2.5T

I bought an 03' S60 2.5T for $3500 that I knew had a transmission issue. Mechanic friend that tested it noted the fluid needed to be changed (which we did). The transmission delayed a few seconds when switching from P-D but was smooth between all other shifts.

Drove the car 15 minutes home on free way 65 mph+. From the exit I noticed that from stop to go it was sluggish and needed lots of RPM to move. So far I'm wondering:

Software update?
New SLU(TCC) solenoid?
or whole new valve body?

When I described some of the problems to a mechanic he said the car was sluggish because it was in 'limp mode' and I needed a whole new transmission for $3800 bucks. Any thoughts?
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Jan 15 2013, 04:20 PM
Post #2

Senior Veteran

Member No.: 74,889
Drives: volvo 940 se turbo 1991

QUOTE (polartx @ Jan 15 2013, 01:10 PM)
I bought an 03' S60 2.5T for $3500 that I knew had a transmission issue. Mechanic friend that tested it noted the fluid needed to be changed (which we did). The transmission delayed a few seconds when switching from P-D but was smooth between all other shifts.

Drove the car 15 minutes home on free way 65 mph+. From the exit I noticed that from stop to go it was sluggish and needed lots of RPM to move. So far I'm wondering:

Software update?
New SLU(TCC) solenoid?
or whole new valve body?

When I described some of the problems to a mechanic he said the car was sluggish because it was in 'limp mode' and I needed a whole new transmission for $3800 bucks. Any thoughts?

when a car goes in limp mode the service light for the engine will come on, if it does that, then your trouble is your throttle control module is worn or very dirty to clean it you have to take off the throttle the module stays on throttle now spray throttle cleaner all over it and dry with a clean cloth.

QuoteReply
polartx
post Jan 15 2013, 04:27 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 114,020
Drives: 2003 Volvo S60 2.5T

QUOTE (danielm85948 @ Jan 15 2013, 02:20 PM)
when a car goes in limp mode the service light for the engine will come on, if it does that, then your trouble is your throttle control module is worn or very dirty to clean it you have to take off the throttle the module stays on throttle now spray throttle cleaner all over it and dry with a clean cloth.

One of the check engine service codes that is coming up has to do with lean fuel, would that also be a result of the throttle control module?

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Jan 15 2013, 10:55 PM
Post #4

Senior Veteran

Member No.: 74,889
Drives: volvo 940 se turbo 1991

QUOTE (polartx @ Jan 15 2013, 05:27 PM)
One of the check engine service codes that is coming up has to do with lean fuel, would that also be a result of the throttle control module?

sounds like dirty throttle needing cleaned, the way the car is , the cars breather system goes through your throttle, but when it, is very dirty, that will give a build up of carbon and gum on to the throttle, just google cleaning your throttle on you tube ,you can then see what you need to do to clean it, the position of your throttle control module if very dirty will give the wrong information to your ECU the cars brain.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest 2009 and Below S60 Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Model Contest
0 CarID 428 15th December 2011 - 08:16 AM
Last post by: CarID
No New Posts Limp Mode
2 digitalinkjetman 1,422 1st December 2011 - 08:21 PM
Last post by: jamesthomas
No New Posts Limp Mode On 2005 2.5t Xc90? Hard To Reverse
0 foliclychallenged 1,269 20th March 2011 - 11:20 AM
Last post by: foliclychallenged
No New Posts Model Compatibility
2 jonhanrahan 467 14th April 2009 - 12:29 PM
Last post by: jonhanrahan
No New Posts Model Number / Production Date Help
0 Aaronius 143 19th February 2009 - 06:52 AM
Last post by: Aaronius

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 09:58 PM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement