Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Volvo S60 2001-2004 Fuel Pump Recall, Volvo S60 2001-2004 Fuel Pump Recall
jackshin
post Aug 27 2012, 01:03 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 103,130
Drives: 2002 Volvo S60

This is to inform Volvo owners and who is considering purchasing Volvo cars in Australia.

Firstly, if you are considering purchasing volvo cars, think again.

I'm a owner of Volvo S60 2002 in Perth, Wetern Australia.

I have contacted Volvo Australia for the issue I'm having with fuel pump leaking petrol on my S60.

Volvo North America has recalled as below, for this specific issue with fuel pump leaking.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Volvo Recall Announcement

Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):
VOLVO / S60 2001-2004

VOLVO / S80 2002-2005

VOLVO / V70 2001-2004

VOLVO / XC70 2001-2004

VOLVO / XC90 2003-2005

Manufacturer: VOLVO CARS OF N.A. LLC. Mfr's Report Date: DEC 17, 2009
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 09V483000 PE09039
NHTSA Action Number: PE09039

Component: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:DELIVERY:FUEL PUMP
Potential Number of Units Affected: 136100

Summary:
VOLVO IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2001-2005 S80, MODEL YEAR 2001-2004 V70, S60, XC70 AND MODEL YEAR 2003-2005 XC90 VEHICLES SOLD IN OR REGISTERED IN THE STATES OF ALABAMA, ARIZONA, ARKANSAS, CALIFORNIA, FLORIDA, GEORGIA, HAWAII, KENTUCKY, LOUISIANA, MISSISSIPPI, NEVADA, NEW MEXICO, NORTH CAROLINA, OKLAHOMA, SOUTH CAROLINA, TENNESSEE, TEXAS, UTAH, VIRGINIA AND THE U.S. TERRITORIES. THE FUEL PUMP CAN DEVELOP CRACKS IN THE FUEL PUMP FLANGE WHEN EXPOSED TO CERTAIN ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS (HOT CLIMATE AND TEMPERATURE CYCLING) OVER TIME AND IN COMBINATION WITH VARYING FUEL QUALITY.

Consequence:
IF THE CONDITION OCCURS VEHICLE OWNERS MAY NOTICE FUEL SMELL AND/OR FUEL LEAK WHICH, IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE, COULD RESULT IN A FIRE.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE FUEL PUMP INSTALLED IN THE VEHICLE, AND, IF IT IS THE DEFECTIVE PUMP, REPLACE IT WITH A PART OF A MODIFIED DESIGN. THIS SERVICE WILL BE PERFORMED FREE OF CHARGE. THE CAMPAIGN IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING JANUARY 2010. OWNERS MAY CONTACT VOLVO AT 866-637-3774.

Notes:
VOLVO SAFETY RECALL NO. R220. OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

My car has exact same problem, part number and serial number that matches to fuel pump has been recalled in North America.

I obtained information from S60 2002 owner in California, North America.

Volvo Australia notified me today that volvo manufacture cars for different markets so they will not recall or repair my fuel pump even my car has exactly the same fuel pump as what North America recalled and same problem of petrol leaking.

Volvo Australia could not careless.

I will 'never ever' buy volvo again and for those I strongly suggest to re-think again. You could be the one too.

Volvo claims most Safety car in the world could result in fire but they don't care. How good is that...
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Volvo_Recall_Announcement.pdf ( 81.87K ) Number of downloads: 7

Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Aug 27 2012, 03:51 AM
Post #2

Senior Veteran

Member No.: 74,889
Drives: volvo 940 se turbo 1991

QUOTE (jackshin @ Aug 27 2012, 01:03 AM)
This is to inform Volvo owners and who is considering purchasing Volvo cars in Australia.

Firstly, if you are considering purchasing volvo cars, think again.

I'm a owner of Volvo S60 2002 in Perth, Wetern Australia.

I have contacted Volvo Australia for the issue I'm having with fuel pump leaking petrol on my S60.

Volvo North America has recalled as below, for this specific issue with fuel pump leaking.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Volvo Recall Announcement

VOLVO / S60 2001-2004

VOLVO / S80 2002-2005

VOLVO / V70 2001-2004

VOLVO / XC70 2001-2004

VOLVO / XC90 2003-2005

Manufacturer: VOLVO CARS OF N.A. LLC. Mfr's Report Date: DEC 17, 2009
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 09V483000 PE09039
NHTSA Action Number: PE09039

Component: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:DELIVERY:FUEL PUMP
Potential Number of Units Affected: 136100

Summary:
VOLVO IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2001-2005 S80, MODEL YEAR 2001-2004 V70, S60, XC70 AND MODEL YEAR 2003-2005 XC90 VEHICLES SOLD IN OR REGISTERED IN THE STATES OF ALABAMA, ARIZONA, ARKANSAS, CALIFORNIA, FLORIDA, GEORGIA, HAWAII, KENTUCKY, LOUISIANA, MISSISSIPPI, NEVADA, NEW MEXICO, NORTH CAROLINA, OKLAHOMA, SOUTH CAROLINA, TENNESSEE, TEXAS, UTAH, VIRGINIA AND THE U.S. TERRITORIES. THE FUEL PUMP CAN DEVELOP CRACKS IN THE FUEL PUMP FLANGE WHEN EXPOSED TO CERTAIN ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS (HOT CLIMATE AND TEMPERATURE CYCLING) OVER TIME AND IN COMBINATION WITH VARYING FUEL QUALITY.

Consequence:
IF THE CONDITION OCCURS VEHICLE OWNERS MAY NOTICE FUEL SMELL AND/OR FUEL LEAK WHICH, IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE, COULD RESULT IN A FIRE.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE FUEL PUMP INSTALLED IN THE VEHICLE, AND, IF IT IS THE DEFECTIVE PUMP, REPLACE IT WITH A PART OF A MODIFIED DESIGN. THIS SERVICE WILL BE PERFORMED FREE OF CHARGE. THE CAMPAIGN IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING JANUARY 2010. OWNERS MAY CONTACT VOLVO AT 866-637-3774.

Notes:
VOLVO SAFETY RECALL NO. R220. OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

My car has exact same problem, part number and serial number that matches to fuel pump has been recalled in North America.

I obtained information from S60 2002 owner in California, North America.

Volvo Australia notified me today that volvo manufacture cars for different markets so they will not recall or repair my fuel pump even my car has exactly the same fuel pump as what North America recalled and same problem of petrol leaking.

Volvo Australia could not careless.

I will 'never ever' buy volvo again and for those I strongly suggest to re-think again. You could be the one too.

Volvo claims most Safety car in the world could result in fire but they don't care. How good is that...

take it you have trading standards in your country try them.or the small claims court.

This post has been edited by danielm85948: Aug 27 2012, 03:52 AM

QuoteReply
jackshin
post Aug 27 2012, 08:47 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (danielm85948 @ Aug 27 2012, 03:51 AM)
take it you have trading standards in your country try them.or the small claims court.

I am documenting everything to submit to Department of Consumer Affiars and waiting for Volvo Australia
to send me a letter so I have it in writting.

The female name of "Kate" at Volvo Australia said that my car is 10 years old and anything could've happpend in that time.

Hello~? Volvo N.A recalled in 2010 which car was 8 years old. Hello~?

At the end of the day, I am the innocent owner driving with risk of catching fire and fuel smell is causing headaches.

I swore to myself, I will never ever go near volvo. I may as well go and buy a Great wall.

QuoteReply
jackshin
post Aug 28 2012, 02:13 AM
Post #4

For the sake of volvo owners of Australia, I have received the following response from volvo Australia.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Dear Mr Shin,

Thank you for providing this letter to us.

As discussed on the phone, this recall was issued for the North American market and is not applicable to your vehicle. The actual specification for each of our models will vary significantly depending on its intended market as the vehicle need to meet government-specified conditions for individual countries. This means that while the S60 is available in both North America and Australia, they cannot be considered the same vehicle and a recall that affects vehicles in North America will not automatically result in a global campaign. From a safety perspective, Volvo Car Australia takes recalls very seriously. We are careful to ensure that any vehicle that could experience a known safety concern is properly recalled, the actions needed are listed on our system and the owners notified. As there is nothing listed on our system, we must conclude that there have not been any recalls for your vehicle.

It is the nature of motor vehicles that they do suffer from mechanical failure. This is true for all automotive manufacturers as over time and kilometres travelled, vehicle components will wear. Volvo Car Australia takes responsibility for component failure that is the result of manufacturing fault or defect by providing our owners with a three year factory warranty. However, breakdowns caused by wear and tear are not the responsibility of any automotive manufacturer as this is the result of use and handling over a prolonged period.

Your vehicle is now ten years old and has been outside of the warranty period for seven years. It is reasonable to expect that any serious manufacturing faults or defects would present well before this stage. In speaking with Premier Motors, I have also been advised that the vehicle has not been serviced by a Volvo-authorised dealership for a quite some time. If it had been regularly serviced with a Volvo service centre, there is every possibility that this concern could have been prevented.

You have asked for an explanation as to what is wrong with your vehicle and how it should be fixed. We are not able to comment on the concerns you have raised without the vehicle being examined by one of our Volvo-trained technicians. As such, I have recommended that you speak with Chris Lickfold at Premier Motors to book an appointment. However, there can be charges associated with vehicle diagnosis and labour rates are determined by our dealerships. It remains your decision as to whether you would like them to examine the vehicle or not and if you decide to proceed, they are within their rights to charge you for the time they spend on your vehicle.

If you would like to organise a booking or have any further questions, please speak with your local Volvo dealership.

Kind regards,

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The fundamental of the problem is specifically at "Fuel Pump"
    The fuel pump has same serial number and part number that has been recalled
    The problem description is exact same as N.A recall summary

I've documented everything and going into Department of Commerce - Consumer Protection in Perth.

I'll keep you all updated.

Cheers.

QuoteReply
grendel1960
post Aug 28 2012, 06:27 AM
Post #5

Veteran

Member No.: 16,314
Drives: 92 volvo 440, 91 volvo 940

its probably down to the number of failures related to country, from memory I have seen information about this recall before and the issue was only concerning some states in the usa, where the temperatures in summer made the fuel leak a concern for the users, in the uk for instance it doesnt get hot enough for the problem to occur, it may just be that there havent been enough occurances of the problem in australia to trigger the recall (that and the american proclevity towards litigation).
ok so there has proved a design fault in the pump under certain climatic conditions, but you have to balance the problem against the design life of the part, if you have a 10 year old car and the part was only designed for a 12 year lifespan (+/- 2 years) then that could possibly be classed as normal wear and tear. (after all you do expect to replace some parts when they wear out) you seem to be unfortunate enough to be caught in the middle, a climate not quite hot enough to qualify for the recall, and a part that has failed at the early end of its designed life. consider the fact that in some car designers eyes a 10 year old car is only fit for the scrapheap (volvo used to be one that designed cars for life but since they were taken over by ford ?? - well to me standards have dropped - I would have a pre 2000 volvo any day over a newer one).
Grendel

QuoteReply
jackshin
post Aug 29 2012, 12:14 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (grendel1960 @ Aug 28 2012, 07:27 AM)
its probably down to the number of failures related to country, from memory I have seen information about this recall before and the issue was only concerning some states in the usa, where the temperatures in summer made the fuel leak a concern for the users, in the uk for instance it doesnt get hot enough for the problem to occur, it may just be that there havent been enough occurances of the problem in australia to trigger the recall (that and the american proclevity towards litigation).
ok so there has proved a design fault in the pump under certain climatic conditions, but you have to balance the problem against the design life of the part, if you have a 10 year old car and the part was only designed for a 12 year lifespan (+/- 2 years) then that could possibly be classed as normal wear and tear. (after all you do expect to replace some parts when they wear out) you seem to be unfortunate enough to be caught in the middle, a climate not quite hot enough to qualify for the recall, and a part that has failed at the early end of its designed life. consider the fact that in some car designers eyes a 10 year old car is only fit for the scrapheap (volvo used to be one that designed cars for life but since they were taken over by ford ?? - well to me standards have dropped - I would have a pre 2000 volvo any day over a newer one).
Grendel

I appreciate your reply. Just on that few points of your comments, summer climate of the Perth for the last 10 years has always had over 40 degrees celsious which is hotter than those states mentioned on recall announcement.

Volvo Cars North America has recalled for theis specific probelm in year 2010 for the cars manufactured between

VOLVO / S60 2001-2004

VOLVO / S80 2002-2005

VOLVO / V70 2001-2004

VOLVO / XC70 2001-2004

VOLVO / XC90 2003-2005

Which it means at that time Volvo S60 2001 would be 9 years old.

At the end of the day my justification is at its defective fuel pump not at complete car.

My fuel pump has exact same fuel pump that is in the S60 year 2002 model that was defective and recalled in North America.

Once again, focus is at 'Fuel Pump' not at complete car.

I've lodged all the documents to Consumer Protection yesterday so I'll keep you all informed.

Cheers.

QuoteReply
grendel1960
post Aug 29 2012, 05:54 AM
Post #7

Veteran

Member No.: 16,314
Drives: 92 volvo 440, 91 volvo 940

Cheers, I wasnt sure what the temperatures were like or where you were in Australia, but I bet that they just havent had a high enough proportion of failures in Perth to trigger a recall, so it falls under standard wear and tear - of course this isnt right, surely a recall should be worldwide in any climate that warrants it, which I see is your point.
as I mentioned - all my volvos have been pre 2000, and yes I have had problems, perished fuel hoses etc (I dont think I have had one problem yet that fell under a recall notice in the 8 volvos I have owned - all went to high mileages (I havent had one yet that didnt get to 150,000 miles, and several over 200,000)).
I like my volvos and put up with the odd part replacements as and when, they are one of the few cars that I fit in and feel comfortable.
Grendel

QuoteReply
jackshin
post Sep 22 2012, 05:54 AM
Post #8

Quick update for everyone,

Dept Commerce - Consumer protection has contacted Volve car Australia and they have refused to resolve the matter as recommended.

Now the court case has been filed and it has been registered at WA Magestrates Court.

I will keep you informed as more progress.

Cheers.

QuoteReply
82AJB
post Jan 30 2013, 06:06 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 48,041
Drives: 2001 Volvo S60 2.4T Manual

How is this going? I am very interested as I've just discovered the same problem with my 01 S60 T.

QuoteReply
ent3
post Feb 13 2013, 01:23 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 114,570
Drives: 2002 xc70

QUOTE (82AJB @ Jan 31 2013, 07:06 AM)
How is this going? I am very interested as I've just discovered the same problem with my 01 S60 T.

I am having this problem too, in Perth - any progress to report??

QuoteReply
ASV2013
post Apr 22 2013, 06:50 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 115,375
Drives: 2002 S60

Also noticed smell of fuel on our 2002 Volvo S60, we can see this is a recall issue in the USA. Not sure how Volvo Perth will respond?!

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Australia Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Volvo?
Why Volvo?
0 supero 230 23rd September 2014 - 08:33 PM
Last post by: supero
No New Posts Volvo V40 T4 - Knob Safety Lock
5 KONE 1,415 15th September 2014 - 01:49 AM
Last post by: masud ali
No New Posts Volvo 240gl Wagon For Sale Near Perth Wa
Volvo 240GL wagon for sale near Perth WA
0 lee_ricketts1 174 6th September 2014 - 05:43 AM
Last post by: lee_ricketts1
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsVolvo 240gl Wagon For Sale
Selling 240GL
0 lee_ricketts1 330 2nd September 2014 - 10:02 AM
Last post by: lee_ricketts1
No New Posts Volvo Forum Is Boring!
not enough participation
2 supero 321 30th August 2014 - 11:30 AM
Last post by: danielm85948

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 24th October 2014 - 11:53 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement