Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Re Programing Keyless Control, remote control programing
dav
post Mar 21 2006, 03:26 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,114
Drives: volvo 850 glt

i loose my key and keyless remote control of my v70 98 i wish to know if i can buy that ones on ebay because them say that i have to reprogramig the remote and i don't know how? please help me to save money because these are very expensive
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
DIAZ
post Aug 25 2006, 06:10 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 18,948
Drives: XC70

Hi
I just got an 03 XC70 with one key and went on E-Bay and purchased one $26.00 and sone change. I have called all the local Volvo dealers in South Florida and they told me that they cannot program the key and the remote because they need the program number. The price for a new key and a remote is close to $400.00.
So I called Noth American Volvo, and they told me the same thing. Is there any recourse for this , I do not know but I will keep on looking, if I find something I will let you know. Please let me know if you get anything. :liebe011:

QuoteReply
volvotech06
post Sep 4 2006, 02:04 PM
Post #3

Senior

Member No.: 19,404
Drives: 1978 volvo 242GT and 92 940 turbo

Hi,
I am a technician for a local dealership and can answer your question. Do not listen to the person with the 03 XC70. Your vehicle and his vehicle are completely different in the way that you prgram keys because his is a fully networked vehicle where yours is not! If the keys that you bought on ebay are blank and have not been programmed to another vehicle before than yes it is possible to program them to your vehicle because in 98 no key code was required. However the key you bought on ebay has not been cut to fit your ignition lock cylinder so it will not turn and the programming does require a software download that can only be performed at your local volvo dealership. YOU CAN NOT PROGRAM THEM BY YOURSELF!! I know it is very expensive but there is no other way to do this other than through your local dealer. I see customers get upset about this everyday but there is nothing we can do about it, sorry
volvotech06

QuoteReply
DIAZ
post Sep 6 2006, 06:43 AM
Post #4

To volvotech06 thank you for your answere,but I have another question, about the remote only, can they be re-programed at the dealership without the bar code ID, or can I get the orginal dealership of the 03 XC70 to give me the programing code for the orginal remote so they can re-program the new remote?

Thank you for your Help

QuoteReply
volvotech06
post Sep 6 2006, 08:42 PM
Post #5

Senior

Member No.: 19,404
Drives: 1978 volvo 242GT and 92 940 turbo

To answer your question no it is not possible to program these remotes. Each remote comes with it's own code which is specific to that one remote only. This remote number has to be programmed into the vehicles CEM, Central electric module. Unfortunatly, there is no way to get around this remote issue with volvo cheaply. A new remote with code and a remote software application are needed to fix your problem. I've found that the customers who try to get around this cheaply usually end up spending more in the long run because of all the usless remotes they buy from other people. Sorry if this wasnt' the answer you were looking for. Let me know if you need anything else.

QuoteReply
pkerr
post Oct 19 2006, 09:26 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 20,393
Drives: 940 Turbo wagon, s70 Turbo

I have a 98 S70 and my remote seems flaky. I saw one on E-Bay. They look the same and have the same part number. I sent the seller this question "How do you program it" and he replied "You would need to have your dealer program it. Some do it for free when you bring your car in for service."

E-Bay item 300034127008

Is he telling a lie?

QuoteReply
IceBrick
post Oct 22 2006, 06:34 PM
Post #7

Senior

Member No.: 4,514
Drives: 91 240, 98S70

There seem to be a lot of used remotes on Ebay. I was thinking of buying one to replace mine (badly cracked). I to would like to know if it is that easy to program a second remote. ( 1998 S70).

QuoteReply
DIAZ
post Oct 23 2006, 09:42 PM
Post #8

Do not waste your money, I bought 2 of them on Ebay, and cannot have them programed.
The Dealer asks for the codes that came with it, and they do not come with codes just the remotes. So save your money.

Charlie

QuoteReply
rmmagow
post Oct 27 2006, 09:15 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 12,744
Drives: 1998 Volvo V70R AWD

I might be wrong here. For 98, I think the code they need is the code of something called the VLGA (or VGLA). It's a PIN code like the one for the radio. Volvo dealers can retrieve the original codes via the VIN, once they have the codes and if the code is correct, i.e. the original VLGA is in the car, they can program the remotes. I had mine in the other day for the same thing and that's what they told me. My radio had been replaced too since the code they gave me didn't work. I popped out the radio and someone had written a code on the radio itself and that was all it took to get it working again.
Doe anyone know where this VLGA unit is located? I'm sort of hoping maybe they taped the codes to it someplace.
Thanks.

QuoteReply
russ hill
post Jan 26 2008, 01:46 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 37,020
Drives: 1999 S70 Turbo AWD

I know that yours is lost, but in the case of a broken one.........
The remote for my 99 S70 broke, I bought another one on Ebay, took the guts out of mine, put them into the Ebay remote. Shazam! Working remote. :banana:

QuoteReply
solsticeman2
post Feb 7 2008, 09:48 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 38,039
Drives: in the market

I lost my keys awhile ago and learned the hard way about ebay, but their are cheaper options besides the dealers, such as key manufacturers like ikeyless. You get a new key without paying the dealership prices which can be very expensive, especially with programming and all the other add-ons they put in there just to get a keyless remote :banana: This is my not going to the dealership dance, though its better when I'm in the banana costume.

QuoteReply
MaxIcon
post Feb 22 2008, 07:53 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 38,698
Drives: 1999 C70, 1997 850 GLT wagon

QUOTE(russ hill @ Jan 26 2008, 10:46 AM)
I know that yours is lost, but in the case of a broken one.........
The remote for my 99 S70 broke, I bought another one on Ebay, took the guts out of mine, put them into the Ebay remote. Shazam! Working remote.  :banana:
[right][snapback]70577[/snapback][/right]

I did the same with my '99 C70 remote - the plastic they used in those would give a Honda QC engineer nightmares, and my was so badly broken I had lost one of the buttons, and had to tape it together.

I bought a clean used one on ebay (where they're fairly cheap because they can't be programmed easily) and put the old guts in the new case. You can also get replacement cases from http://www.ipdusa.com/, I think.

QuoteReply
TwelveTango
post Jan 25 2013, 01:13 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 114,304
Drives: 1999 Volvo S70 AWD

QUOTE (solsticeman2 @ Feb 7 2008, 08:48 AM)
I lost my keys awhile ago and learned the hard way about ebay, but their are cheaper options besides the dealers, such as key manufacturers like ikeyless. You get a new key without paying the dealership prices which can be very expensive, especially with programming and all the other add-ons they put in there just to get a keyless remote (IMG:style_emoticons/default/banana.gif) This is my not going to the dealership dance, though its better when I'm in the banana costume.

I am a new Volvo owner ('99 S70 AWD) and just came across your post. Although I didn't lose my keys, I did purchase the car used with just one key and no remote. I checked online with ikeyless.com and it clearly states that the remotes are sold without codes. Having lost your keys, how did you manage to get the remote programmed without going to a dealer? Thanks in advance for the help.

QuoteReply
S70insanity
post Jan 25 2013, 08:24 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 114,009
Drives: 1998 Volvo s70 GLT

I just bought a '98 s70 w/139,000 miles in showroom condition for $1950. Well it did have a small dent in the passenger door. The shop wanted $1200 to fix it and it'd never be as good as new. So I looked on craigslist got an original door for $100 PROBLEM SOLVED! The keyless-entry remote was all busted up so I bought a new case on ebay for $9 and just swapped the insides. It works great! I also understand that if you want a new remote from the dealer it is like $117 plus $60 to program it! I misplaced my remote and used my other key to open the car and the alarm went off so I put my key in the ignition hoping it'd stop the alarm but it wouldn't stop the alarm nor could I start the car! Luckily I found my remote and key because you can buy a cheap($40) on ebay but then You still need to go to the dealer and spend $60 to program it. I was lucky I bought my s70 from the original owner so she had all the paperwork telling you what the keyless-entry remote and the radio codes were as well as the paint name! I just got lucky!! I hope this helps! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

This post has been edited by S70insanity: Jan 25 2013, 08:29 PM

QuoteReply
grendel1960
post Jan 26 2013, 05:11 AM
Post #15

Veteran

Member No.: 16,314
Drives: 92 volvo 440, 91 volvo 940

on the v40 if you buy the remote and the central locking unit together they will already be programmed to each other, I dont know if this is true for other models too.
Grendel

QuoteReply
Shannonbuck1
post Feb 14 2013, 08:54 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 114,587
Drives: 1998 Volvo v90

QUOTE (pkerr @ Oct 19 2006, 09:26 PM)
I have a 98 S70 and my remote seems flaky. I saw one on E-Bay. They look the same and have the same part number. I sent the seller this question "How do you program it" and he replied "You would need to have your dealer program it. Some do it for free when you bring your car in for service."

E-Bay item 300034127008

Is he telling a lie?

REPROGRAMMING TRANSMITTERS
Both transmitter key codes are preprogrammed in the receiver module when the car is supplied, but can be reprogrammed if necessary, e.g. if a new transmitter is used.

When reprogramming the receiver, it is important to enter each unique key code.The receiver's memory can hold up to three transmitter codes.

Before starting reprogramming, check that the remote control transmitter concerned uses the same frequency as the receiver.

The receiver module is marked with a letter as shown in the illustration.

The transmitter has a P/N engraved on the underside.
Note: New frequencies may be introduced later.
Receiver module marking Transmitter P/N
A (9148647) 9148646
C (9128710) 9128709
H (9128928) 9128927

The procedure for reprogramming the receiver module is as follows:

Turn the ignition key to position I or II five times in 10 seconds and leave the ignition on after the fifth time.

Within 30 seconds, press either the LOCK or UNLOCK button on the transmitter once.
All transmitters must be reprogrammed within 30 seconds.

Switch ignition off.
Check that each transmitter is working.
Note: If neither the LOCK or UNLOCK button is pressed within 30 seconds, no reprogramming will take place and the receiver module will retain the previous key codes.

It is not easy, good luck! may take a few tries!!!!!

QuoteReply
surcan
post Jul 10 2013, 08:16 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 101,760
Drives: volvo V70

if you want to save money
you can buy a clone car key programmer from chinasinoy

QuoteReply
drainbamage
post Sep 1 2013, 03:02 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 119,970
Drives: 1999 Volvo V70 2.4 20V

For when the plastics of your remote have gone bad, or you are missing a button or so:

http://www.elferink.nl/onderdeel.php?Alink...amp;ArtNr=22313
http://www.elferink.nl/onderdeel.php?Alink...amp;ArtNr=22285
http://www.elferink.nl/onderdeel.php?Alink...amp;ArtNr=22286

I don't know if they send it to other country's than the Netherlands, but it is worth a try...

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest 1G (1998-2000) S70, V70 & V70XC Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsRevelocity Auto Expo 2014
0 GROM Audio 53 13th October 2014 - 07:32 PM
Last post by: GROM Audio
No New Posts Replacement Tires ?
Looking for new tires
2 supero 378 12th August 2014 - 07:05 PM
Last post by: supero
No New Posts Redwoods Road Trip - 2014
4 m3dragon 354 7th May 2014 - 10:28 PM
Last post by: m3dragon
No New Posts Rear Cupholder
broken cup holder spring
0 Tchgrif 310 3rd April 2014 - 06:58 AM
Last post by: Tchgrif
No New Posts Reliable Volvo Mechanic In Brisbane Or Gold Coast
0 pino 173 2nd April 2014 - 05:57 AM
Last post by: pino

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 24th October 2014 - 06:18 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement