Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Why Is My Volvo So Slow?
MILLENIUM FALCON
post Dec 25 2012, 09:04 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 113,742
Drives: 2004 V70XC, 1997 850T5

So I recently bought this 2004 V70XC wagon and it's well slow and I'm looking answers. Last year I bought a 97 850T-5 and it's a rocket ship when compared to this V70XC.

I don't know much about how this V70XC but it is lame just about everywhere. The turbo spools quickly enough, around 1000 rpm, but the engine doesn't have much torque output until maybe 2500 rpm and maybe a little bit of steam between 3800-4500 rpm but after 5000 rpm it's done done done as it just revs out extremely slow and appears to only loose power as it wanders out to 6000 rpm for the upshift. I mean it has no balls and it takes forever for it to go from 70-100 mph. I doubt that this Volvo could reach 125 mph unless it was down a mineshaft. No I don't expect it to be a rocket ship but anyone here would probably complain about this Volvo pathetic output after driving it unless that is exactly how the V70XC drives.

Yes the turbo works and spools up fine.
No it doesn't puke oil past the seals or push the dipstick out.
No check engine lights and no stored codes.

So here are some guesses.

The wastegate is adjusted too low of pressure or maybe the wastegate spring is busted? I haven't hooked up a boost gauge but I have checked all the pressure hoses and the little hoses that route to the wastegate solenoid and made sure the solenoid was free and working properly.

The catalytic is partially clogged? Do all V70XC engines just flat out refuse to make power past 5000 rpm?

Maybe the cam timing is off? Again it's just not making much power anywhere.

Any suggestions?

Jon

Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Dec 26 2012, 12:57 AM
Post #2

Senior Veteran

Member No.: 74,889
Drives: volvo 940 se turbo 1991

QUOTE (MILLENIUM FALCON @ Dec 25 2012, 09:04 PM)
So I recently bought this 2004 V70XC wagon and it's well slow and I'm looking answers. Last year I bought a 97 850T-5 and it's a rocket ship when compared to this V70XC.

I don't know much about how this V70XC but it is lame just about everywhere. The turbo spools quickly enough, around 1000 rpm, but the engine doesn't have much torque output until maybe 2500 rpm and maybe a little bit of steam between 3800-4500 rpm but after 5000 rpm it's done done done as it just revs out extremely slow and appears to only loose power as it wanders out to 6000 rpm for the upshift. I mean it has no balls and it takes forever for it to go from 70-100 mph. I doubt that this Volvo could reach 125 mph unless it was down a mineshaft. No I don't expect it to be a rocket ship but anyone here would probably complain about this Volvo pathetic output after driving it unless that is exactly how the V70XC drives.

Yes the turbo works and spools up fine.
No it doesn't puke oil past the seals or push the dipstick out.
No check engine lights and no stored codes.

So here are some guesses.

The wastegate is adjusted too low of pressure or maybe the wastegate spring is busted? I haven't hooked up a boost gauge but I have checked all the pressure hoses and the little hoses that route to the wastegate solenoid and made sure the solenoid was free and working properly.

The catalytic is partially clogged? Do all V70XC engines just flat out refuse to make power past 5000 rpm?

Maybe the cam timing is off? Again it's just not making much power anywhere.

Any suggestions?

Jon

get a noid light set for about $25 to check your injectors are all opening , all you do with a noid light is take of the lead to your injector,and push on a noid light,get a set on ebay, and check your turbo bypass valve it may be leaking ,and check your inter cooler , as may need drained of water and oil mix,as that mix can go up to the throttle , so that may need cleaned,with a throttle cleaner.

This post has been edited by danielm85948: Dec 26 2012, 01:02 AM

QuoteReply
volvotech06
post Jan 2 2013, 01:41 PM
Post #3

Senior

Member No.: 19,404
Drives: 1978 volvo 242GT and 92 940 turbo

Jon,
The reply from danielm is very unusual and does not make very much sense. If your injectors were not opening the vehicle would be running like crap with misfire codes and a check engine light. Also, a noid light only tells you if the ECM is turning the injector on and off, not if the actual injector is pulsing. Keep in mind you did buy a very heavy all wheel drive station wagon, not a sports car. The xc70 has never been known to be very powerful. That being said there are a few things you can check. The bearing on the turbo charger impellers have been known to loosen and "walk" causing poor boost pressure and performance. This usuall associated with a rattle noise coming from the turbo. Same goes for the wastegate. They can stick open or open too early causing boost pressure to be lost. Turbo charger control valves not functioning correctly can also happen. If it was your timing a check engine light would be on. You can only be about 2 teeth off before the light comes on. Hope this helps

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest 2G (2001-2007) V70, V70XC & XC70 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Volvo?
Why Volvo?
0 supero 225 23rd September 2014 - 08:33 PM
Last post by: supero
No New Posts My 197k 1998 V-90
0 RCR 63 19th September 2014 - 12:13 AM
Last post by: RCR
No New Posts Volvo V40 T4 - Knob Safety Lock
5 KONE 1,403 15th September 2014 - 01:49 AM
Last post by: masud ali
No New Posts Volvo 240gl Wagon For Sale Near Perth Wa
Volvo 240GL wagon for sale near Perth WA
0 lee_ricketts1 171 6th September 2014 - 05:43 AM
Last post by: lee_ricketts1
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsVolvo 240gl Wagon For Sale
Selling 240GL
0 lee_ricketts1 328 2nd September 2014 - 10:02 AM
Last post by: lee_ricketts1

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 22nd October 2014 - 10:46 PM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement