Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> 2007 Throttle Issues
Dave Meddings
post Nov 7 2012, 07:41 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 112,543
Drives: 2007 C70

Hello all,

My wife just got a 2007 C70 with about 60,000 km on it here in Switzerland. Bought it through a used car dealer and other than regular services nothing else noted in the service logs.

About 1 week ago she started it and on trying to pull out of her parking she got a fault message displaying (in French...rough translation was "engine fault") and noted very little throttle response. After restarting 2 or 3 times error message stayed but she could at least get home. During some of the trip she found very little response from the throttle.

Day after everything was fine.

She took it to our Volvo dealer mechanic and the Volvo diagnostic kit showed an error code associated with the accelerator pedal. Advice was wait and watch as the car at that point was running normally.

Today it happened again. I've since googled throttle C70 etc. and seen that earlier model C70s did have some problems with their throttle modules. Not sure if and when it changed but if I read things correctly may have been 2006. As above, this is a 2007 model.

What do people think we should do? At this point my plan is to go to our local Volvo dealer who has started looking after the car (the used car dealer we purchased through is 3 hours away in another part of Switzerland), as they said when my wife took it in for its first service that it would be under the 10 year/100,000 km warranty. I would like to know before talking with the local Volvo dealer if there is a known issue with the throttle module that applies to the 2007 models.

Thanks for any advice,

Dave M
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Nov 7 2012, 09:41 AM
Post #2

Senior Veteran

Member No.: 74,889
Drives: volvo 940 se turbo 1991

QUOTE (Dave Meddings @ Nov 7 2012, 08:41 AM)
Hello all,

My wife just got a 2007 C70 with about 60,000 km on it here in Switzerland. Bought it through a used car dealer and other than regular services nothing else noted in the service logs.

About 1 week ago she started it and on trying to pull out of her parking she got a fault message displaying (in French...rough translation was "engine fault") and noted very little throttle response. After restarting 2 or 3 times error message stayed but she could at least get home. During some of the trip she found very little response from the throttle.

Day after everything was fine.

She took it to our Volvo dealer mechanic and the Volvo diagnostic kit showed an error code associated with the accelerator pedal. Advice was wait and watch as the car at that point was running normally.

Today it happened again. I've since googled throttle C70 etc. and seen that earlier model C70s did have some problems with their throttle modules. Not sure if and when it changed but if I read things correctly may have been 2006. As above, this is a 2007 model.

What do people think we should do? At this point my plan is to go to our local Volvo dealer who has started looking after the car (the used car dealer we purchased through is 3 hours away in another part of Switzerland), as they said when my wife took it in for its first service that it would be under the 10 year/100,000 km warranty. I would like to know before talking with the local Volvo dealer if there is a known issue with the throttle module that applies to the 2007 models.

Thanks for any advice,

Dave M

they did not change the throttle module, they only do a throttle module update, as it was subject to a recall in the USA for the update, it is a soft wear update the dealer must do .

QuoteReply
Dave Meddings
post Nov 7 2012, 10:27 AM
Post #3

QUOTE (danielm85948 @ Nov 7 2012, 03:41 PM)
they did not change the throttle module, they only do a throttle module update, as it was subject to a recall in the USA for the update, it is a soft wear update the dealer must do .

Thanks Daniel....so I should be asking the dealer to do a software update on the throttle module? My wife took it back this afternoon already and the car will be with them for testing, but apparently the guy told her that he did not think it was the throttle module as the earlier fault really related to the accelerator pedal. Added something to her about rare problems with that which could be a costly repair - and also not covered on the 10 year 100,000 km warranty as apparently components are only covered for 3 years.

Eeesh. The used car dealer 3 hours away (not a Volvo dealer just one of these nameless used car lots) did offer a 3 month "guarantee" on the car but this would mean schlepping it back to them and then who knows who they would engage to do the work on it as they are not a Volvo dealer. We are now wondering if the car was put up for sale because of this problem.

Anything specific I should be asking our Volvo mechanic at this end to either look at or report to me? Thanks for the help.

Dave M

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Nov 7 2012, 04:57 PM
Post #4

Senior Veteran

QUOTE (Dave Meddings @ Nov 7 2012, 11:27 AM)
Thanks Daniel....so I should be asking the dealer to do a software update on the throttle module? My wife took it back this afternoon already and the car will be with them for testing, but apparently the guy told her that he did not think it was the throttle module as the earlier fault really related to the accelerator pedal. Added something to her about rare problems with that which could be a costly repair - and also not covered on the 10 year 100,000 km warranty as apparently components are only covered for 3 years.

Eeesh. The used car dealer 3 hours away (not a Volvo dealer just one of these nameless used car lots) did offer a 3 month "guarantee" on the car but this would mean schlepping it back to them and then who knows who they would engage to do the work on it as they are not a Volvo dealer. We are now wondering if the car was put up for sale because of this problem.

Anything specific I should be asking our Volvo mechanic at this end to either look at or report to me? Thanks for the help.

Dave M

i would think it very strange that the volvo dealer will not get the codes which would then tell him it needs a soft wear update for the module,just ask him to read the codes,the cars ECU has all the information, that is why the first thing to do is get the codes,that car had a recall in the USA for trouble with the throttle module needing an update just google that and print it out to show them.as for it is the accelerator pedal, i think he is misreading it,as if it says no signal from the accelerator pedal to the throttle module then the trouble is the throttle module, so need an update,the only thing your pedal does is turn the throttle ,so it has to be the throttle module ,so subject to the 10 year right to the update.

This post has been edited by danielm85948: Nov 7 2012, 05:11 PM

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Nov 7 2012, 04:58 PM
Post #5

Senior Veteran

QUOTE (Dave Meddings @ Nov 7 2012, 11:27 AM)

Dave M

i would think it very strange that the volvo dealer will not get the codes which would then tell him it needs a soft wear update for the module,just ask him to read the codes,the cars ECU has all the information, that is why the first thing to do is get the codes,that car had a recall in the USA for trouble with the throttle module needing an update just google that and print it out to show them.

QuoteReply
Dave Meddings
post Nov 8 2012, 01:26 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (danielm85948 @ Nov 7 2012, 10:58 PM)
the first thing to do is get the codes

Thanks again Daniel. My wife dug out the paper she'd received from when they did the first check on the car and the code was ECM-950.

I've done some digging around on the internet about this code and I am not sure it is one that is related to a throttle module problem. It seems to be linked more often to high idle or accelerator pedal issues or even indicate a need for a CEM replacement. It actually seems a bit all over the place in terms of what it may be linked with. Hopefully we will see today if there is a new code coming out of their testing but for the moment the only code I can confirm has shown on this car (C70 2.4i Momentum, VIN: YV1MC38527J020883) is the ECM-950 code.

On one Volvo engine management bulletin that I found on this site:

http://forum.carpartseuro.com/Books/FaultC...tCodes-0867.pdf

it gives probable causes for this code as:

Trouble codes stored, wiring, CAN data bus, APP
sensor, multifunction control module

Still think I should be asking for a throttle module software update?

Best,

Dave

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Nov 8 2012, 02:55 AM
Post #7

Senior Veteran

QUOTE (Dave Meddings @ Nov 8 2012, 02:26 AM)
Thanks again Daniel. My wife dug out the paper she'd received from when they did the first check on the car and the code was ECM-950.

I've done some digging around on the internet about this code and I am not sure it is one that is related to a throttle module problem. It seems to be linked more often to high idle or accelerator pedal issues or even indicate a need for a CEM replacement. It actually seems a bit all over the place in terms of what it may be linked with. Hopefully we will see today if there is a new code coming out of their testing but for the moment the only code I can confirm has shown on this car (C70 2.4i Momentum, VIN: YV1MC38527J020883) is the ECM-950 code.

On one Volvo engine management bulletin that I found on this site:

http://forum.carpartseuro.com/Books/FaultC...tCodes-0867.pdf

it gives probable causes for this code as:

Trouble codes stored, wiring, CAN data bus, APP
sensor, multifunction control module

Still think I should be asking for a throttle module software update?

Best,

Dave

there should be more than one code,as it shows there is trouble codes stored, before the update is done get a better code reader,tell them to do that first,but i still think it is a update needed for the throttle module which they must do for free,it would be better to check the codes first as it can be one of two things dirty throttle body needing cleaned with throttle body cleaner,or you need the soft wear update, google electronic control module update for the volvo v70 the recall took place in the USA in JAN 2007

This post has been edited by danielm85948: Nov 8 2012, 12:16 PM

QuoteReply
Dave Meddings
post Nov 8 2012, 03:19 AM
Post #8

Thanks again Daniel, very helpful.

How do I determine if the throttle module needs the software update - is there a firmware revision number or something? As I say, this is a used car we just purchased and we know relatively little about its past history, so for all we know perhaps the throttle module software has already been updated.

Best,

Dave

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo C70 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts 2007 S*) Key Fob Sticks
0 JJK1959 300 24th October 2013 - 08:57 PM
Last post by: JJK1959
No New Posts 2007 S40 Full Audio System Problems
0 Mike volvo s40 399 1st September 2013 - 12:13 PM
Last post by: Mike volvo s40
No New Posts 2007 S60 R Shrieking/chirping Under Load
1 meangreenmachine 504 22nd August 2013 - 11:38 PM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsThrottle Body Mod
960 throttle plate
2 umpgotti 821 19th July 2013 - 09:24 PM
Last post by: Kiss4aFrog
No New Posts 2007 S40 Jerking
Jerking while driving.
6 shijuvt 1,234 19th July 2013 - 05:32 AM
Last post by: SykO

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 23rd August 2014 - 12:30 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement