Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> V40 Headlamp Problem.
Geordievolvo
post Nov 6 2012, 07:36 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 106,808
Drives: Volvo 850 GLT, Volvo V40.

My Volvo v40 (X reg. year 2000) has a fault on the front offside headlamp. The dipped beam does not work, although the full beam is still working. Tried new bulb but the problem persists. The headlamp fuse is OK. This morning I have been to a local garage but they cannot find the answer, even after fitting a new electrical connection box, and trying 3 different bulbs. The power is getting to the headlamp unit, but for some reason the bulb is not lighting on dipped beam.
Does anyone have any idea as to the cause and the remedy ??
There are a couple of posts in here re headlamp faults, but I can find nothing in them to point me in the right direction.
Hoping someone has the answer for me.
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
grendel1960
post Nov 6 2012, 08:16 AM
Post #2

Veteran

Member No.: 16,314
Drives: 92 volvo 440, 91 volvo 940

check the wiring from the socket in the headlamp unit to the bulb holder itself. if the power is getting to the connector then it must be inside the headlamp unit.
Grendel

QuoteReply
grendel1960
post Nov 6 2012, 08:53 AM
Post #3

Veteran

just popped out and looked at mine the unit wires right to the bulb, have you checked the fusebox and lighting switch?, though if you have power to one dipped light you should have it to both, unless there is a fault in the wiring. the bulb should work just plugged into the socket without being seated in the headlight unit, if not then the power isnt getting to the headlight, check the lighting relay, and maybe the lighting check relay (the one that tells you there is a bulb out).
Grendel

QuoteReply
Geordievolvo
post Nov 7 2012, 03:30 PM
Post #4

Will enlighten you all tomorrow re the problem. Just paid over £400 to have the problem solved at a Volvo main dealer. Whether they have been ripping me off, or their diagnosis was correct, I do not know.

QuoteReply
grendel1960
post Nov 7 2012, 05:19 PM
Post #5

Veteran

Ah about 5 hours work if thats without parts. I was quoted £440 to replace a ecu connector once - the £40 was the part, I ordered the part and spent 3 hours carefully rewiring it one wire at a time (about 30 wires in the connector).
Grendel

QuoteReply
Geordievolvo
post Nov 10 2012, 09:40 AM
Post #6

The cost for the repair was £170 for the complete headlamp unit; £190 for labour; then vat on those. Everything working fine now. A friend who works in a forensic lab states that nowadays cars develop faults in the electrical/wiring systems,whereas years back one of the main problems was welding re the bodywork. Apparently wiring in modern cars is not as 'tough' as wiring quite a few years ago. The wiring is much thinner and corrodes more easily. Another suggested remedy is to make use of WD40 re electrical problems - spraying with that one some parts of the electrics may help solve a minor problem, and prevent it recurring.
I may be changing from Volvo the next time I need a car change. THey do not seem as reliable as what they used to be. At least not as reliable as my 20 year old Volvo 850 which had to be scrapped in Aug. this year.

QuoteReply
grendel1960
post Nov 10 2012, 12:51 PM
Post #7

Veteran

I am just getting to that point too, I have an 850 that needs a fair bit of work and the v40, and unfortunately the 850 needs to go as the list of problems grows daily (at 265,000 miles its to be expected. I too had to replace one of my headlights when I got the car, mine was because the reflector had worn and the beam unfocused and dim.

Grendel

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo V40 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsProblems With Dashboard Air Ducts
One has a fin loose and the other has foam and a yellow-white thing
0 qwertie64982 83 28th August 2014 - 05:07 PM
Last post by: qwertie64982
No New Posts V40 2004 Floor And Cargo Rubber Mats
0 NJV40 127 8th July 2014 - 07:00 AM
Last post by: NJV40
No New Posts V40 Dip/full Beam
2 ragingben 611 13th September 2013 - 03:11 AM
Last post by: ragingben
No New Posts Problem With Having Low Battery Power?
2 ImortalZomby 819 29th July 2013 - 04:32 AM
Last post by: SykO
No New Posts Problem With Interior Light In "new" Volvo
2 JensDK 429 2nd June 2013 - 02:53 AM
Last post by: JensDK

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 30th September 2014 - 12:52 PM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement