Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> S60, Reduced Engine Performance
beboop
post Oct 20 2011, 05:54 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 97,142
Drives: 2005 Volvo S60 2.5t

I was driving on the freeway going about 65mph yesterday. In an blink, I noticed a shift in the speed in the car, going down gradually and noticed the "reduced engine performance" message on the message panel. The car speed went down to about 45mph and held steady until I parked the car. About 35/40 minutes later, I started the car and noticed that the message was not there. I continued to drive home - about 10 minutes - and the car seemed to be okay. I drove to work today, going about 35 to 45 mph and everything seemed okay. I drive at lunch time with about same speed and no "reduced engine performance" message. Should I be worried? Is it dangerous to drive the car? Also, do you know what would cause the "reduced engine performace" light to come? What is the problem(s)?
Thank you,
Beboop
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
parajon
post Nov 18 2012, 10:03 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 112,871
Drives: 2006 S60 2.0T

QUOTE (beboop @ Oct 21 2011, 12:54 AM)
I was driving on the freeway going about 65mph yesterday. In an blink, I noticed a shift in the speed in the car, going down gradually and noticed the "reduced engine performance" message on the message panel. The car speed went down to about 45mph and held steady until I parked the car. About 35/40 minutes later, I started the car and noticed that the message was not there. I continued to drive home - about 10 minutes - and the car seemed to be okay. I drove to work today, going about 35 to 45 mph and everything seemed okay. I drive at lunch time with about same speed and no "reduced engine performance" message. Should I be worried? Is it dangerous to drive the car? Also, do you know what would cause the "reduced engine performace" light to come? What is the problem(s)?
Thank you,
Beboop

View Member Profile Add as Friend Send Message Add to PM block list Forward PM Find Member's Topics Find Member's Posts S60 redueced engine performance, Today, 04:41 PM

Member No.: 112,871

Hi Beboop. Im in South Africa having just bought a 2005 S60 2.0T . After about 1000 kms it suddenly shows the reduced engine performance message and the emission sign is on. My engineer here who is non volvo but pretty good says it 'needs a computer check by Volvo which with the following work they suggest here can get very expensive'. Before I go that route i wonder if you ever got that resolved and if so can you give me any pointers please? John W

QuoteReply
Vermont
post Nov 18 2012, 10:42 AM
Post #3

Senior

Member No.: 80,050
Drives: 2002 Volvo S60

I don't have my Owner's Manual handy; but I think it outlines a few of the reasons the "reduced engine performance" message is rendered. Meanwhile, you could do a quick search on this Forum and see that it has been discussed here before (I think). If I can find it, I'll come back and post the link.

I've had it myself; but don't remember what the exact cause was . . . . which must mean it was somewhat minor.

Here's that link to a prior discussion:

Reduced Engine Performance

You'll note too that one of these participants provided another link to an even earlier discussion.

My own encounter with the "limp home mode" may have been before the ETS Upgrade/Recall, as I would remember it well if I had to spend a lot of hard-earned money.

This post has been edited by Vermont: Nov 18 2012, 11:24 AM

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Nov 18 2012, 02:37 PM
Post #4

Senior Veteran

Member No.: 74,889
Drives: volvo 940 se turbo 1991

QUOTE (beboop @ Oct 20 2011, 05:54 PM)
Thank you,
Beboop

there is a you tube video showing how to clean your throttle, due to carbon and gum build up, you need to remove the throttle ,it has 4 bolts you need to remove from the bottom of it,but watch it on you tube first.

QuoteReply
draser
post Nov 24 2012, 01:10 PM
Post #5

Senior

Member No.: 94,352
Drives: 2005 S60

What year is the car, can't be the one in signature... How many miles, etc...

QuoteReply
S60D
post Dec 4 2012, 09:36 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 113,315
Drives: 2002 S60 D

QUOTE (beboop @ Oct 20 2011, 10:54 PM)
Thank you,
Beboop

Right, you need to get the Engine code to read, there are 3 ways.

1- Indicator stalk
2- Any ODB scanner
3- Vida with Dice [expensive one]

1) Here's something you can do quite easily to check for any stored DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes):

DTC readout:
* Press and hold "READ" on the indicator stalk
* Press rear fog light button twice, in rapid succession
* DIM-screen will list a readout of DTC codes (skip through by pressing READ)

Some of the categories will show "Checking" but may never update, this is not necessarily indicative of a problem. The message "DTC SET" however, indicates a fault-code has been stored for the component mentioned.

Sit in the car, ignition on, press and hold the read button on the indicator stalk and then quickly flash the rear fog light on and off. You'll then be able to keep pressing the read button and scroll through each module individually and the car will tell you weather that unit has any dtc's stored, but it wont tell you what they are. Defo a good thing to check thou before buying one and getting the seller to sort before you buy

SET means there is fault code stored,CHECKING could mean the same.READY means no fault. DTC's are Diagnostic trouble codes.

2) Any ODB engine reader will do from eBay, install on your android a odb reader, enable bluetooth on your mobile, plug the ODB plug in car, drivers side, little flap, with ODB written on it. The application on your android phone will give codes, for example P0244 then all you need to do is translate that to the corresponding ECM error and bingo you know the fault, solving is another issue ;-)

3) Buy a Dice, get Vida 2012A and do it yourself.

Have fun.

This post has been edited by S60D: Dec 4 2012, 09:37 AM

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest 2009+ S60 Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Best Replacement For S60 R Design Continental Contact3 Tires?
Replacement suggestions?
0 BSE1956 50 11th October 2014 - 10:33 AM
Last post by: BSE1956
No New Posts Servicing The Volvo S60
The volvo is telling me to take for service
4 Grantgc 316 22nd August 2014 - 03:16 AM
Last post by: Grantgc
No New Posts Volvo S60, V60 Polestar Pricing Announced
0 AutoGuide.com 336 7th August 2014 - 01:54 PM
Last post by: AutoGuide.com
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsNo Am Reception 2001 S60
6 mspopo 1,374 4th August 2014 - 08:19 PM
Last post by: YesNoMebbeSo
No new Topic has attachmentsS60 Am Radio Reception
Bad reception
29 sigsS60 19,903 4th August 2014 - 07:52 PM
Last post by: YesNoMebbeSo

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 22nd October 2014 - 01:20 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement