Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Coolant In Floor Pan
Hamrt
post Apr 21 2012, 10:24 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 80,012
Drives: 2002 C70

So I replaced the heater core in my 2002 volvo C70 about 2 years ago and everything had been running fine. Now all of the sudden I have coolant in the floor pan on both the driver and passenger sides of the car. When I replaced the heater core before, the coolant was underneath the carpet on both sides. This time the coolant is not under the carpet, it is even further down below the carpet, under the rubber and foam that is just above the floor pan. I have pulled back the carpets and cut open the rubber and the foam to expose the floor pan. Here is the strange part - the heater core doesn't appear to be leaking at all and even after running the car for over an hour with the heater running full on, there are no visible leaks. Last time it was easy to see that the heater core had gone bad and was leaking. I also looked at the ac drain that is just under the heater core and that appears fine as well. I am pretty stumped here. Has anyone else experienced this or any ideas what to check? Again, no drips or leaks from the heater core and I can't see anything coming from the 2 coppers pipes in the firewall. Is there anywhere else that coolant could be leaking from that I haven't mentioned?

Thanks for any thoughts,

Mike
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
NalleyVolvo
post Apr 23 2012, 07:04 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 106,266
Drives: None

Are you sure this coolant is new, and not left over from the first time there was a leak? Was the entire climate box and casing checked for coolant before everything was closed back up? Even then, I would imagine the condensation channels would have taken care of it.

QuoteReply
mykael
post Apr 24 2012, 01:10 AM
Post #3

Senior

Member No.: 61,383
Drives: 200 Volvo C70 Convertible

Try looking for leaks when its cold - engine, air-con, atmosphere. Metal expands when it gets hot and that could be enough to seal any weeping joints or welds...

QuoteReply
meaningofsoul
post Jan 15 2013, 01:44 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 24,928
Drives: 2001 Volvo S60

QUOTE (Hamrt @ Apr 21 2012, 09:24 PM)
So I replaced the heater core in my 2002 volvo C70 about 2 years ago and everything had been running fine. Now all of the sudden I have coolant in the floor pan on both the driver and passenger sides of the car. When I replaced the heater core before, the coolant was underneath the carpet on both sides. This time the coolant is not under the carpet, it is even further down below the carpet, under the rubber and foam that is just above the floor pan. I have pulled back the carpets and cut open the rubber and the foam to expose the floor pan. Here is the strange part - the heater core doesn't appear to be leaking at all and even after running the car for over an hour with the heater running full on, there are no visible leaks. Last time it was easy to see that the heater core had gone bad and was leaking. I also looked at the ac drain that is just under the heater core and that appears fine as well. I am pretty stumped here. Has anyone else experienced this or any ideas what to check? Again, no drips or leaks from the heater core and I can't see anything coming from the 2 coppers pipes in the firewall. Is there anywhere else that coolant could be leaking from that I haven't mentioned?

Thanks for any thoughts,

Mike

I just discovered a similar problem on my '01 S60. Coolant dripping off the brake pedal and pooling in the driver side well. If you could say, how much did this end up costing to repair?

This post has been edited by meaningofsoul: Jan 15 2013, 01:48 PM

QuoteReply
mykael
post Jan 16 2013, 01:12 AM
Post #5

Senior

Member No.: 61,383
Drives: 200 Volvo C70 Convertible

If it's the heat exchanger, it's not going to be cheap. Problem is you have to remove most of the dashboard to get at it. I had one done for about A$1,800 - and that's with the garage using a technique of only removing half the dashboard and cutting some pipes to make it quicker.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo C70 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Installling Aftermarket Radio
3 Alex G 535 11th January 2014 - 01:07 PM
Last post by: TheGreekMason
No New Posts Inside Passenger Front Inside Door Handle
Won't open from the inside but does from the outside
0 zoots alures 234 17th October 2013 - 09:02 PM
Last post by: zoots alures
No New Posts Intake Whistle
Whistle when I lift off the Throttle
2 Hampton 242 7th October 2013 - 11:02 AM
Last post by: Hampton
No New Posts Instrument Panel-voltage Stabilizer
5 Striper15 471 7th September 2013 - 02:39 PM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsCoolant Temp Sensor Resistance
8 anode36 678 24th August 2013 - 01:30 PM
Last post by: anode36

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 02:01 PM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement