Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Seeking Advice: 2006 Xc90 V8, 85k Miles
xyz123
post Dec 4 2012, 10:10 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 113,007
Drives: Probably an XC90

Hello,

I am in the Miami area and am looking at a 2006 V8 XC90 with about 85K miles on it.

They are asking $12,900.

What is the general consensus on this year, model, and price. I think I once heard somewhere that the V8 model may be more prone to transmission problems.

I would go for the V6, but I'd really prefer to have AWD and the extra power of the V8. Also, it is harder to find 6cyl AWD models in my area.

It is being sold by a general used car dealership, so I plan to get it checked out by an actual Volvo dealership before moving forward.

My goal would be to use it for 4-5 years, during which time I would likely exceed 200K miles with the nature of my job.

Thank you for any advice you can provide and please let me know if you need additional information.

Best Regards,

XYZ
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
Restom
post Dec 5 2012, 04:21 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 113,151
Drives: 2003 Volvo XC

I think that on the first stage that it worth to check internet and current ads from the current sellers not only in your region. Also I'm sure that the price might change and depends on the region you are in. In any case when we are talking about used cars that is very important to remember and understand that you always can negotiate with the seller (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
Good luck.

QuoteReply
tpsells
post Dec 5 2012, 06:23 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 53,565
Drives: 2005 volvo XC 90 T5 AWD

Asking price seems reasonable if it checks out okay. As far as the tranny...the problem child transmission was made by GM. Not all XC-90's had the GM tranny. My XC-90 has the Asian Tranny and it is not problematic. Asian makes a super quality tranny and component parts. tony p (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif)

QuoteReply
xyz123
post Dec 5 2012, 07:56 AM
Post #4

QUOTE (tpsells @ Dec 5 2012, 06:23 AM)
Asking price seems reasonable if it checks out okay. As far as the tranny...the problem child transmission was made by GM. Not all XC-90's had the GM tranny. My XC-90 has the Asian Tranny and it is not problematic. Asian makes a super quality tranny and component parts. tony p (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif)

Thank you for this. If I ask the dealer during their inspection, would the make of the transmission be something that they could easily identify?

QuoteReply
tpsells
post Dec 5 2012, 08:08 AM
Post #5

Yes. Pop the hood. You can see the transmission on the right side, mounted on the rear of the engine. There will be a plate on top with all the nomenclature. Manufacturer will be clearly identifiable. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/57.gif)

QuoteReply
xyz123
post Dec 5 2012, 09:05 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (tpsells @ Dec 5 2012, 08:08 AM)
Yes. Pop the hood. You can see the transmission on the right side, mounted on the rear of the engine. There will be a plate on top with all the nomenclature. Manufacturer will be clearly identifiable. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/57.gif)

Ok cool, thank you.

In general, am I missing out on any safety or reliability with this 06 model vs. something newer like an 09? I am trying to save some money (particularly with the extra fuel costs that I will incur with it being a V8 and this 06 model is more than $10K cheaper than some of the 09 V8s that I have seen with comparable mileage.

QuoteReply
xyz123
post Dec 5 2012, 09:05 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (tpsells @ Dec 5 2012, 08:08 AM)

Ok cool, thank you.

In general, am I missing out on any safety or reliability with this 06 model vs. something newer like an 09? I am trying to save some money (particularly with the extra fuel costs that I will incur with it being a V8 and this 06 model is more than $10K cheaper than some of the 09 V8s that I have seen with comparable mileage.

QuoteReply
tpsells
post Dec 5 2012, 11:19 AM
Post #8

I have an 05 with 123,000 miles on it. has been one of the most reliable vehicles that I have ever owned. Never a major repair. It has a 5 cylinder turbo that responds like a powerful V-8. It has the Asian tranny that I previously commented on. I would like to move on up to a newer one, but after driving a brand new loner when I had my timing belt replaced the other day, I could find no difference in handling, pick-up, style change or anything else. I am just going to sit tight with it and enjoy the way it's been taking care of me.

QuoteReply
xyz123
post Dec 8 2012, 09:32 AM
Post #9

Thank you everyone for your comments and advice.

This is the car that I referenced in my first post:

http://floridafinecars.com/home/CarDetails...87?cat=FFCMIAMI

After some arm twisting, I convinced the used car dealership to let me take it across the street to the service department of Warren Henry, a Volvo dealership. If their report is accurate, it looks like I may have dodged a bullet:

http://imgur.com/QVYc4

I've almost been burnt in the past with my current Jeep Liberty when a dealership (not Volvo, but a dealership nonetheless) told me that I needed a slew of repairs when I brought my car in for a recall (ball joints) that was completed free of charge. After bringing their suggestion sheet to my local, trusted mechanic, he said that not even one of their recommendations was necessary.

In this context, maybe it's possible that the need for the repairs in the link above are overblown, but I don't think I could take that risk and possibly have to drop another $4500 beyond the list price and fees.

What do you all think?

QuoteReply
xyz123
post Dec 8 2012, 09:32 AM
Post #10

Thank you everyone for your comments and advice.

This is the car that I referenced in my first post:

http://floridafinecars.com/home/CarDetails...87?cat=FFCMIAMI

After some arm twisting, I convinced the used car dealership to let me take it across the street to the service department of Warren Henry, a Volvo dealership. If their report is accurate, it looks like I may have dodged a bullet:

http://imgur.com/QVYc4

I've almost been burnt in the past with my current Jeep Liberty when a dealership (not Volvo, but a dealership nonetheless) told me that I needed a slew of repairs when I brought my car in for a recall (ball joints) that was completed free of charge. After bringing their suggestion sheet to my local, trusted mechanic, he said that not even one of their recommendations was necessary.

In this context, maybe it's possible that the need for the repairs in the link above are overblown, but I don't think I could take that risk and possibly have to drop another $4500 beyond the list price and fees.

What do you all think?

QuoteReply
xyz123
post Dec 8 2012, 09:35 AM
Post #11

(Sorry for the double post. This seems to happen from my phone sometimes.)

QuoteReply
Jat007
post Dec 28 2012, 10:15 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 111,145
Drives: 2007 XC90 V8

Not sure if you bought this Volvo XC90 or not at this time. The XC90 V8 is one of the best XC90 ever made. The earlier XC90 6 Cylinder are prone to transmission problems due to higher torque from the motor and the transmission was inadequate for it.

However, the V8 is opposite of that. The motor are made by Yamaha and the tranny is also made in Japan. These V8 up until 2012(?) are made by Yamaha...They new ones are made by Volvo.. I did a lot of research and I also bought an 2007 XC90 with a V8. I am getting about 19 MPG Highway with high octane gas from Shell. The engine purr at idle and grawl at high speed... I love driving this XC90!!

Best of luck!

QuoteReply
jjorah
post Dec 28 2012, 05:07 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 113,751
Drives: 2005 volvo xc 90

This post has been edited by jjorah: Dec 29 2012, 09:44 AM

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo XC90 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts 2006 C70 Cigarette Lighter
1 dancuthbertson 32 31st August 2014 - 07:15 AM
Last post by: grendel1960
No New Posts Xc90 2008 Good Choice?
Looking to buy XC90 2008
0 al_toengi 314 20th July 2014 - 12:30 PM
Last post by: al_toengi
No New Posts 2006 Xc90 2.5t - What To Check Before Buying ?
I am about to come on the XC90 side of the force.
1 Guinness9 532 28th March 2014 - 05:43 AM
Last post by: tpsells
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsXc90 D5 Exec Sunroof Gps Dvd Towbar ++ Sale
An excellent package going cheap - Australia only
0 VIVA 276 18th March 2014 - 05:26 AM
Last post by: VIVA
No New Posts Xc90 For Sale
BRAND NEW RADIATOR, TIMINGBELT AND WATER PUMP
0 thexc90man 429 10th March 2014 - 03:24 PM
Last post by: thexc90man

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 20th September 2014 - 04:57 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement