Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> New Battery
nutrunner
post Feb 11 2013, 11:51 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 114,409
Drives: 2004 v50 se estate

hi all im thinking of putting a new battery in my v50 2004 , will taking it out affect my radio or any lecky component
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
Vermont
post Feb 11 2013, 03:29 PM
Post #2

Senior

Member No.: 80,050
Drives: 2002 Volvo S60

Any particular reason why you're thinking of doing that ?

Lately, some of my batteries have lasted 4 years; others 7.

Every car is a bit different; but most are tolerant of a straight forward swap, dis-connecting the ground cable first. Some radios need to re-coded for their anti-theft resistance systems. If your radio is so equipped, make sure you have the codes available BEFORE replacing the battery !

When I suspect a battery of mine is going south, I start carrying my jumper cables and dust off my trickle charger until I get a clear diagnosis . . . . I've sent too many good batteries to a premature funeral when it was something else.

I've been intrigued while carefully listening to a Montreal Radio ad recently offering a New BMW Battery installed for a mere $229.00 (Canadian) and it even includes a 2 year Warranty . . . . such a deal !

As you might suspect; I'm a firm believer in "If it isn't broke, don't break it" !

QuoteReply
nutrunner
post Feb 11 2013, 04:06 PM
Post #3

thanks Vermont its working alright but it came with the car 2004 and to its the old fashion type and i want a more modern sealed gel battery also the radio in the v50 is sealed unit inside the floating dashboard fascia , ill ring up my local volvo dealer and ask them all the best len

QuoteReply
Platypup
post Feb 11 2013, 09:35 PM
Post #4

Senior

Member No.: 24,285
Drives: Volvo V50 T5 AWD, Toyota RAV4, MG TC, Jaguar E-type

If possible, connect an external 12v power supply by cable and clamps to the car battery terminals before disconnecting them from the car battery and leave connected until the new battery is connected. Normal wiring is all that is needed, not heavy booster cables, but these can be used also in a pinch but be careful the clamps do not touch each other or the positive connection to any earth point. This will allow a continuous power supply to the car electronics avoiding the need to recode your radio and reset your preferences.

If the removed battery is still OK it is a good idea to keep it charged as a back-up booster and to supply the 12v supply when you need to change the battery again.

QuoteReply
nutrunner
post Feb 12 2013, 03:32 AM
Post #5

thanks worth a go, but will ring my nearest volvo dealer just to check about the radio
Attached File(s)
Attached File  DSCF5456.JPG ( 1.73MB ) Number of downloads: 3

QuoteReply
nutrunner
post Feb 12 2013, 05:36 AM
Post #6

just been told i dont need a radio code from my main volvo dealer if i disconnect battery, on my v50 sportwagon 2004, so happy days new battery on the way ,

This post has been edited by nutrunner: Feb 12 2013, 05:37 AM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  DSCF5455.JPG ( 1.76MB ) Number of downloads: 3

QuoteReply
Platypup
post Feb 12 2013, 10:45 PM
Post #7

Senior

That makes sense. After all, it is not exactly the type of radio that can readily be stolen from the car! Your station settings and car computer preferences for security, lighting, etc may need to be reset though but then possibly not.

QuoteReply
nutrunner
post Feb 13 2013, 01:26 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (Platypup @ Feb 13 2013, 03:45 AM)
That makes sense. After all, it is not exactly the type of radio that can readily be stolen from the car! Your station settings and car computer preferences for security, lighting, etc may need to be reset though but then possibly not.
thats right but they have told me all my settings will be alright as the v50 is on a different system , he did tell me what it was , but it was to complicated for me to understand , hahaha hope all is well in AUS freezing cold here

This post has been edited by nutrunner: Feb 13 2013, 01:27 AM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  DSCF5454.JPG ( 1.77MB ) Number of downloads: 2

QuoteReply
Platypup
post Feb 14 2013, 01:22 AM
Post #9

Senior

Of course it's summer here with temperatures in the 30+ degrees Celsius. Soon time for me and the missus to walk our dog along the beach in the lovely warm sunshine. Can't help but feel sorry for you poms at the moment!!

QuoteReply
nutrunner
post Feb 14 2013, 03:10 AM
Post #10

hahaha bet u do, mind u AUS has had its fair share of droughts & floods lately , ive just been out over the fields with my white alsation bobby then 1/2 hr to get him clean and dry after all the rain and snow we have had , its leather seat cleaning today ,had the stone chips done ,then all thats needed is a good wash and wax but that can wait till the weather gets a bit warmer,only had the car 2 weeks but am well pleased with it, ive had BMWs for a number of yrs now but they are not dog friendly . so went for this v50,
Attached File(s)
Attached File  DSCF5128__2_.JPG ( 4.78MB ) Number of downloads: 6

QuoteReply
Platypup
post Feb 15 2013, 09:50 PM
Post #11

Senior

What a lovely pooch. The V50 makes a great dogmobile and is one of the reasons we bought it. Previous entries in this forum suggest others have had the same idea. We have travelled extensively with our dogs (collie & golden retriever) with the back laid flat and the car has proved its worth. We only have the goldie now and she is getting a bit arthritic.

Many cars we have looked at are poorly designed with the rear too high or awkward for and old dog (who is also rather heavy to lift) to climb into. We use a ramp now at the back whenever possible to make it easy on her joints.

In contrast to your dog the old girl (not the wife) only needs the sea water rinsed off her after playing on the beach rather than snow and mud in your case and this only takes a minute or so and she dries quickly with the hot weather.

QuoteReply
nutrunner
post Feb 16 2013, 05:55 AM
Post #12

thats right wish we had your weather tho,could do with a 12v hairdryer to dry him off , haha, ive just booked the car in for a complete mop- paint- touch up and wax for next wed , as it hasnt been garaged and has some scratches and swirls from having it cleaned in them garage machine washes , worst thing for washing cars so by wed night it should be pristine inside and out the garage will be emptied before then so i can be put away at night , ive not used the garage for the last 3 yrs as my bmw e38 was to big for ir so ive used it as a store room . full up haha , ive always used acv, apple cider vinegar for other dogs we have had with the joint problems

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo V50 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Newbie In The Uk
2 compact90 438 2nd March 2014 - 01:37 PM
Last post by: compact90
No New Posts New To Volvo's
0 Stubanger 136 10th February 2014 - 09:12 PM
Last post by: Stubanger
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsNew Member From Melbourne.
2 Jayeveryday 174 6th January 2014 - 07:47 PM
Last post by: TheGreekMason
No New Posts New Member From Spain
1 gorka_fm 148 31st December 2013 - 03:23 PM
Last post by: TheGreekMason
No New Posts New Owner With A Tranny Question
2 captalex 183 18th December 2013 - 10:44 PM
Last post by: danielm85948

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 02:12 PM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement