Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Will Start But Won't Run (86 Gl), Fuel??
danielm85948
post Jan 29 2013, 11:36 PM
Post #21

Senior Veteran

Group: Members
Member No.: 74,889
Drives: volvo 940 se turbo 1991

QUOTE (BucJohn @ Jan 28 2013, 02:07 AM)
There is good spark at the distributor end of the coil lead, but poor spark at the plugs. I cleaned up the distributor cap and rotor contacts. There is a gap of around 0.5mm between contacts and rotor. The leads are in the right order, 1342. After cranking the starter for around ten seconds, the engine will fire weakly, improving then dying, for a similar time, then die. Crank the starter again and it will fire the same amount of times, but after 2 or 3 turnovers. In the time it took me to re-assemble the air cleaner box, the pattern had reset.

if you have a good spark at the coil end and a bad spark at the leads for your spark plugs end,then the trouble is at your distributor ,things that need done there, are,change the cap, and the rotor arm, do you have electronic ignition,or do you have a set of points, and do you have a condenser a small round box on the side of your distributor,if you have that part,then you must change that small round box,and the points,if you have these parts get back on here, as i will need to talk you through how to set the points,but i have to say this,it can be an internal fault with your distributor,the advance and retard part of it is sticking ,to find that out,you would have to be able to test it, to see the base plate advance and retard , if that was the case , it would be cheaper to get a good distributor, on ebay.
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
BucJohn
post Jan 31 2013, 05:30 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 111,576
Drives: 1986 240 GL

QUOTE (danielm85948 @ Jan 30 2013, 03:36 PM)
if you have a good spark at the coil end and a bad spark at the leads for your spark plugs end,then the trouble is at your distributor ,things that need done there, are,change the cap, and the rotor arm, do you have electronic ignition,or do you have a set of points, and do you have a condenser a small round box on the side of your distributor,if you have that part,then you must change that small round box,and the points,if you have these parts get back on here, as i will need to talk you through how to set the points,but i have to say this,it can be an internal fault with your distributor,the advance and retard part of it is sticking ,to find that out,you would have to be able to test it, to see the base plate advance and retard , if that was the case , it would be cheaper to get a good distributor, on ebay.

I have electronic ignition, and I believe I don't have a condenser. how would I test the advance and retard? with the rotor on the shaft i can move it around 20 to 30 degrees. I have also made the diaphragm move. Any Idea where I can get either a Bosch GB898 or Bremi 7010 rotor?

This post has been edited by BucJohn: Jan 31 2013, 06:02 AM

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Jan 31 2013, 05:48 AM
Post #23

Senior Veteran

QUOTE (BucJohn @ Jan 31 2013, 06:30 AM)
I have electronic ignition, and I believe I don't have a condenser. how would I test the advance and retard? with the rotor on the shaft i can move it around 20 to 30 degrees. I have also made the diaphragm move.

fit a tube on the hole for that diaphragm blow into it,see if your plate moves, if not spray with WD40 that plate must move when you blow in the hose for your diaphragm as you need advance and retard in your distributor there is a rod that pushes on the plate under the plate ,you would not have a condenser with electronic ignition, that is controlled by an electronic control module.

QuoteReply
BucJohn
post Feb 3 2013, 04:37 AM
Post #24

QUOTE (danielm85948 @ Jan 31 2013, 09:48 PM)
fit a tube on the hole for that diaphragm blow into it,see if your plate moves, if not spray with WD40 that plate must move when you blow in the hose for your diaphragm as you need advance and retard in your distributor there is a rod that pushes on the plate under the plate ,you would not have a condenser with electronic ignition, that is controlled by an electronic control module.

The plate under the impulse generator moves by the rod that is attached to the diaphragm, but the shaft the rotor sits on doesn't move. Do I need to get a genuine rotor, or am I able to use a more available generic or non-genuine part? Attached is a picture of the rotor

This post has been edited by BucJohn: Feb 3 2013, 04:44 AM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  100_5117.JPG ( 955.48K ) Number of downloads: 1

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Feb 3 2013, 08:53 PM
Post #25

Senior Veteran

QUOTE (BucJohn @ Feb 3 2013, 05:37 AM)
The plate under the impulse generator moves by the rod that is attached to the diaphragm, but the shaft the rotor sits on doesn't move. Do I need to get a genuine rotor, or am I able to use a more available generic or non-genuine part? Attached is a picture of the rotor

no you do not need to have a genuine rotor, as long as it works, as for the plate it moves so is ok,as for when i ask you are you getting a spark from the coil i need you to reply,if you are getting a spark from the coil then that part is ok,then are you getting a spark at your leads, use a spark tester,if yes , then you go to are you getting a spark at the plugs, i need you to reply to me only on that point, so we can move on to the next tests.

QuoteReply
BucJohn
post Feb 4 2013, 12:32 AM
Post #26

QUOTE (danielm85948 @ Feb 4 2013, 12:53 PM)
no you do not need to have a genuine rotor, as long as it works, as for the plate it moves so is ok,as for when i ask you are you getting a spark from the coil i need you to reply,if you are getting a spark from the coil then that part is ok,then are you getting a spark at your leads, use a spark tester,if yes , then you go to are you getting a spark at the plugs, i need you to reply to me only on that point, so we can move on to the next tests.

I am getting good spark at least as far as the distributor end of the lead from the coil to the distributor. The spark at the plug end of the plug leads is present but weak. I believe that I should install a new distributor rotor and cap, although I am having trouble accessing these parts.

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Feb 4 2013, 02:35 AM
Post #27

Senior Veteran

QUOTE (BucJohn @ Feb 4 2013, 12:32 AM)
I am getting good spark at least as far as the distributor end of the lead from the coil to the distributor. The spark at the plug end of the plug leads is present but weak. I believe that I should install a new distributor rotor and cap, although I am having trouble accessing these parts.

good when you have a good spark from the coil and a weak spark at the plug leads , it means the trouble is your distributor cap and the rotor, so change them,try on ebay, or on parts for volvo they send parts to any place in the world.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo 240, 242, 244 & 245 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Glove Compartment Removal
0 poopbunny 358 27th December 2013 - 07:30 AM
Last post by: poopbunny
No New Posts Start Prevented
Start fails on first attempt w/txt messg
14 cnomann 16,991 30th November 2013 - 01:39 PM
Last post by: luapo
No New Posts Start Prevented Try Again - Help
v70
5 flowerpower31000 8,391 30th November 2013 - 01:18 PM
Last post by: luapo
No New Posts Running Condition And Strange Noise From Fuel Pump
0 volvorecycle 367 11th October 2013 - 10:30 AM
Last post by: volvorecycle
No New Posts Starter Problems
Replacing starter
0 tobias 405 27th June 2013 - 06:10 PM
Last post by: tobias

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 31st October 2014 - 05:38 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement